Sore pad

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Amanda Summers, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers Registered Users

Hi there
    We've had a sore pad now for about a month, 3 trips to the vet, 3 courses of antibiotics, healing slowly, only problem is she won't stop licking it. Wearing a buster and an elizabethan collar together... but she's managing to remove both when we're not looking. Can anyone recommend a breathable bootie we could us for the short periods when she's on her own and for walks. Using salt water to wash after walks. Any other suggestions? She's her own worst enemy!

Many thanks

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have Pawz boots, but I don't think they could be left on with her unattended. And, as they are rubber, they're not breathable, but perfect for walks. At home you could try taping a human sock onto her, but I couldn't tell if she'd try to remove it - I know mine would.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi. You could use a sock and tape it on when you can't watch her. Have you tried using manuka honey? Our vet gave us a tube and it really helped it heal quicker.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have used aloe Vera lip balm on an subsided carpal pad too.
    I would be watchful of a taped sock. I thought it would be a good idea when Lilly had a skin biopsy on her back leg a couple of years ago. In her efforts to get it off she actually managed to cut her leg with the tape/rubbing/nibbling above the already chewed biopsy site. So although a good solution I still wouldn't advise the sock for any more than short u supervised periods.
    Although to qualify, other dogs may be fine it might just have been Lilly.......

5. Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers Registered Users

it's such a minefield.... I used some dressing used for human pressure sores thinking "no harm", 24 hours later due to the moisture the wound worsened. I'm going to set up a video to record how she is removing 2 collars. I've just ordered some Pawz for walks outdoors. The sock idea wouldn't work, she'd lick and lick at the sock. Can you put the aloe vera lip balm directly on the pad with an open wound?

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If it's dry it should be ok but if it's weeping it wouldn't be easy to apply. It would be uncomfortable. It's pretty benign stuff though.
    I used honey dressing (medical ones) on Lilly and they did help a lot.
    5 mins unsupervised early on really did the damage though :(

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor girl it seems this has become habitual, so in my opinion breaking that could be the answer. Our rescue boy Charlie is forever injuring himself, cutting his pads, carpal ones too but he is fine with a cone, but I do like to give him a break from it as it's pretty miserable for weeks on end. I take the cone off, I sit and watch him and when he goes to lick I tell him to "leave it" he looks at me gets a great treat, repeating this every single time, this works really well so he gets time out from the cone. Might be worth trying :) x

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,
    Welcome to the Forum.Sore paw pads are such a drag ....We've had them a couple of times from doing too fast turns on Astro turf.The vet gave me cream and it just kept them wet so I packed it in and just bathed with salt water .I left it uncovered when I could supervise him and a sock worked for us ,unbelievably he didn't bother with it.I bought little boots made by Rogz but they bothered him so much he wouldn't toilet so I stopped using them ..