Spanish shelter dog walkies!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Today was a normal walk with Hop and then an adventure with Carbon. I took him to my language exchange walking group at the beach. The idea is to walk along the beach down to the beach bar, everyone has a drink of some sort, then everyone walks back along the promenade.

First the car ride - about 25 minutes from the shelter to the beach. I had Carbon in a seat belt harness but left him on a longer tether as I didn't know how he would react. Some dogs get caught in the short tether and panic, so I like to put them on a longer tether until they get used to it, even if it isn't quite as safe.

Carbon started with just his head on the centre console. It was there, so I gave him a nice pat. Within five minutes he had crept up to where his right front paw was on the gearshift (luckily an automatic) and the left front paw was in my lap with his head on my shoulder. He looked out the front excitedly and every once in a while would turn his head and give me a big lick up my cheek. Which frankly was a bit too slimy for my taste, but his charm and enthusiasm made up for it.

Once at the beach, he did very nicely. Some leash zoomies, a bit of staring, cautious but not fearful of the surf. He was very friendly at the cafe, but got quickly bored and kept trying to climb into my lap or scam biscuits from those that had them with their coffee.

Then it was down the promenade, a fond farewell to his new friends and we went down to the sand for a last stroll before we had to be back at the shelter at 2pm. He was more chilled out the second time around and seemed to take the waves and other surprises in stride.

I had a seat on the sand and Carbon had a seat on me. For a dog that's lived his whole life with minimal human contact, he sure wants to stick to you like a barnacle. Which of course I love in a dog, so he got lots of kisses and cuddles for his trouble.

Then the ride back home where he somehow not only ended up fully in the front passenger seat but as we were turning into the last bit of road before the shelter, he actually got his head in my lap and his body stretched over the passenger seat. Nothing safe about that at all, but I have to admit that he finally looked 100% relaxed in the car. :D

Ready to get in the car...
    Screenshot 2018-03-16 21.01.26.png

Too busy sniffing to pose...
    Screenshot 2018-03-16 20.59.35.png

This beach thing is good...
    Screenshot 2018-03-16 21.00.18.png

Really good!
    Screenshot 2018-03-16 20.59.14.png

Naya, QuinnM15, CMartin and 10 others like this.
  2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What is a lovely dog like him doing in a shelter!

CMartin likes this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

All sorts of lovely dogs in the shelter. :(

But it is rare to see what appears to be a purebred Lab. Usually they are mixed with mastin or podenco or some mystery Heinz 57. Carbon's biggest problem is that he's black and that just doesn't fly here in Spain.

Stacia likes this.
  4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

He's so lovely. I'd snap him up :inlove:

Cath and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Well, we will just have to work out how to get him to the UK! :)

CMartin, drjs@5, Joy and 4 others like this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I giggled out loud when he started digging, he's so lovely! Is the "black dog" thing a rural prejudice, or mainstream?

7. Emily_BabbelHund

As far as I know, it's just a general thing, nothing to do with rural or urban.

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Black dogs are hard to rehomed in the UK too.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wow, he's really a beautiful, lovely chap!

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

He is so gorgeous!

Yes, he would be rehomed in the UK, surely?? Everyone loves a Lab, black or otherwise! One for BRX?

11. Emily_BabbelHund

That's interesting - I saw so many black dogs when I was there (especially gun dogs) that I just assumed black was a favourite colour in the UK. Maybe it's a just a universal thing then?

12. SwampDonkey

Greyhound rescue say black ones are to rehomed too. Superstitions of which things being black are linked with the devil or witches ?

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Out of curiosity, I did a quick Google of why black pets are less likely to be adopted. Here goes (not in any particular order)...

(1) Black animals are perceived as more common and generic
    (2) They are perceived of as looking older than they actually are
    (3) Complaints that they are hard to photograph so don't look as good in selfies and on Instagram
    (4) Cultural superstitions of black animals being evil, demonic, bad luck, etc.
    (5) They are perceived as being more aggressive

14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What can we do Kate? I am sure everyone here would help if they knew how to get him here.

Beanwood likes this.
  15. SwampDonkey

Definitely I'm in. If he needs a place to stay in game.

16. Granca

Granca Registered Users

He’s so lovely. He looks very relaxed and happy on the beach. It’s difficult to imagine why on earth he’s in a shelter. :(

CMartin and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am currently exploring options. :)

Incidentally, Black Retriever Cross was created to try and help with the rehoming in particular of black dogs. Most do come from Ireland, where there are so many black gundog types, which are especially hard to rehome due to their black colour. Black dogs in Ireland are considered unlucky.

charlie and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I LOVE black dogs. Seriously though it does seem strange, as Black German Shorthaired Pointers are very sort after, is that a bit like wanting a 'silver Labrador'!!!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is a black dog from Ireland. He ended up in The Pound on the PTS list at a mere 6 months old as his "family" didn't want him. :(:(:(

It is very hard to rehome black dogs in the UK. I get regular Newsletters from the rescue centre Charlie came from pleading for people to please take a look at the list of black dogs. It's tragic but true :(

20. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I really really don't understand. Out of all Labradors especially I've always been drawn to black ones. I love how shiny they are.

I guess people like what they like, the main breed of dog in shelters in the UK are whippet/lurchers. And I personally am not a fan so would never get one. My friend from work loves them though - and it's all she would ever get.