Spanish shelter dog walkies!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Bad spelling, I think it should be sought !

2. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Except for our first dog, a cairn terrier, we've always had black dogs, or mainly black in the case of Amber. It wasn't until we bought Wispa as a yellow puppy that we made a conscious choice not to have black, as at that stage we didn't want a black lab puppy, having lost our beloved black lab Penny at a relatively young age. My husband wouldn't even go to see Wispa as a puppy because he thought black dogs were best, but of course once we had her he grew to love her very much - apart from her colour!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Isn't it funny how you tend to get attached to a particular colour of dog, even if you don't always stick with the same breed? I grew up with a black poodle, then as an adult chose two Rotties and another black poodle. Maybe to me a real dog is black or something mixed with black? I remember when my foster fail Mama Jodhi arrived and I thought, "She's a BBD - basic brown dog". I thought she was so blah looking. Of course I soon changed my tune and thought she was beautiful, but I have to admit still having a big soft spot for black.

Two black dogs and one fabulous BBD:

Screenshot 2018-03-17 17.34.50.png

Naya, CMartin, Stacia and 5 others like this.
  4. Emily_BabbelHund

Today it was back to ADANA, the shelter in Estepona on the Costa del Sola (aka "the far one"). As we're now in our third week of solid rain, it was again more cleaning and cuddling than walking. Today to add to my squeegee prowess, I learned to "shampoo" the enclosures today and how to mop the puppy area. Plus I managed to get Charlotte out for about 15 minutes between the raindrops. She is simply the coolest dog and seems to have more than just me wrapped around her paw. I'm grateful for that, because it'll mean she gets more walkies.

When the rain drove us back indoors, I just sat and brushed her. She's moulting like mad and in big swathes of undercoat. She loves just sitting there while I pull out loose fur - her eyes close and she gives these big lusty sighs. Her shyer Podenco room mate, Max, also likes a cuddle and brush, but heaven forbid I should take a hand off Charlotte to pet Max. As long as I devote at least one hand to her, she's fine. But break the rhythm and touch Max with two hands? That gets a huge paw gently raised and laid in my lap, with the most mournful eyes boring into mine. That girl has pitiful down to a science. :D

Messi, Bobo, Ana and Frank were also in fine form. Ana only tried to jump onto my head twice, which is real progress. I was grateful as Ana is nearly a full-sized mastiff at probably 65 kgs. She also SAT for treats for the first time, which is much better than mugging me for them like she did last week. Messi is still doing the funny thing that I inadvertently taught him: if he sits for a treat and is ignored (because the others are getting their treats), then he lays down. If he lays down and the treats still don't come, he lays on his side. If he lays on his side and if the treats STILL don't come, he rolls on his back and gives a "playing dead" belly show with paws in the air. He seems to add a new step to this performance each week, so I have to admit to delaying the treats a bit just to see what behaviour he'll offer up next. He's a hoot!

Charlotte walking between the raindrops (sorry for the wind noise in the background)...

Screenshot 2018-03-18 17.43.46.png

CMartin, Granca, edzbird and 5 others like this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What a beautiful face :inlove: xx

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Oops! Missed two days of photos, but I'll catch up eventually. A teaser: I learned that there are such things as GIANT Podencos! Who knew? Anyway, I got to walk one named Arturo, but he deserves his own post, so more later.

Today was Carbon's second trip to the beach AND our first no-rain day in 3.5 weeks. Everyone was excited and even the dogs in the shelter were going a little bananas. Usually at the end of the day they go right into their enclosures of their own volition, but today it was like herding cats. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

First of all, I picked up Carbon at 9:30am so we had much more time today. I took him for a walk around the shelter before getting him into the car, in the feeble hopes he would NOT try to sit on my head this time. Also the last two days we've been practicing just getting in and out of the car without actually going anywhere, so I hoped that would help.

Well, he got in like a champ, but almost immediately ended up in the front seat again despite me shortening his tether to the back seat belts. I stopped the car, shortened the tether again and - plop!- as soon as I start moving here he comes into the passenger seat again. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to drastically shorten the tether and just hope he doesn't eat my seat belts.

Like the last time in the car, he just wants to ride with his head on my arm and he front paws in my lap. Every once in a while, he gives a slap with one of his paws and miraculously has a knack for hitting the gear shift into neutral. This is not the safest thing (understatement) but it didn't surprise me this time around, so when it happened I just clicked it back into drive and kept moseying down the motorway.

Once at the beach, he was a bit of a spazz but as I had more time to get his ya-ya's out before the beach bar meeting, it worked better. I also let him get closer to the water this time, though still no waves. I've found that all the dogs I've taken from the shelter have a reaction to the ocean that ranges from "baffled" to "terrified" so I didn't push it.

He did very well at the bar, though this time I made sure I didn't order anything myself so that I could wrangle him with both hands if needed. He also got lots of "chuches" (treats) when he sat, settled, or saw another dog. The same dog that he barked at last Friday was there again today and he didn't bat an eye except to look at me to get his treat. I was very proud of him. The lady sitting next to me (in blue in the photos) was also a favourite as she kept sneaking him her coffee biscuits.

Then it was back to the beach for another walk and then back to the car. Despite shortening the tether AGAIN, he AGAIN ended up in the front seat. However, this time, he almost immediately laid his head heavily on my right arm and fell sound asleep. He was wiped out, poor guy!

It was a good day, but it went way too fast. I'll see you on Friday, Señor Carbon! :heart:

Beach silliness...

Under the table at the beach bar...
    Screenshot 2018-03-21 19.23.39.png

I love this nice lady with the coffee biscuits...
    Screenshot 2018-03-21 19.22.41.png

I REALLY love her...
    Screenshot 2018-03-21 19.23.14.png

A last stroll before falling asleep in the car...
    Screenshot 2018-03-21 19.24.09.png

7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

He's so lovely. It's really horrible that he doesn't have a home. In the U.K. He'd be snapped up in seconds :(

CMartin and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

He really is lovely and looks happy with you.i t good he's got. Buddy to escape with.

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He’s got such a soft, sweet face :heart:

10. SwampDonkey

We could consult the pig about posting him to us.

Lara, snowbunny, drjs@5 and 3 others like this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

No postage needed - special delivery available. :D

SwampDonkey and Rosie like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

Don't tempt me girly :) I'm not strong.

13. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Dooooo ittttt :angel:

CMartin and SwampDonkey like this.
  14. Emily_BabbelHund

Oh why be strong? :p

CMartin, Rosie and SwampDonkey like this.
  15. SwampDonkey

You lot are a proper bunch of little devils.:D

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He looks a lovely solid steady boy x

SwampDonkey likes this.
  17. SwampDonkey

He does indeed.a very good dog

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

He just looks so lovely and cuddly, too! Wouldn't it be brilliant if he ended up with a forum person? Not looking at anyone in particular but, ooooooh, I dunno.... *cough* swampy *cough*

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

He has the most beautiful face :)

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I am joining in the Carbon love!! :inlove: I can’t believe he’s in a shelter. I don’t get the black dog thing either....people are so weird sometimes...o_O

CMartin, Granca and Emily_BabbelHund like this.