spaying

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by sussex, May 6, 2015.

1. sussex

sussex Registered Users

i have been on here before my lab bitch has only one kidney we were advised not to spay as she might still be incontinent after the op now we have her on urilin not because she was incontinent but the muscle controlling the entrance to the bladder was weak causing her to have to urinate freqently including 3-4 times at night now i am wondereing as she is on urilin would she be able to be spayed will be seeing our vet shortlyjust wondered what people here know about this

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: spaying

Sorry I can't help you with this.
    I think there is some discussion about increase in continence problems after a spay, but my understanding was that it wasn't a sudden change, rather more likely as your dog gets older. Someone may be along with some evidence though.....
    I don't see why she couldn't be spayed on the meds, but I guess they could be stopped prior to surgery if needed,
    Hope you get some more answers - particularly from your vet :)

jac

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Well beyond my experience I'm afraid as an owner of two boys. Just wanted to wish you luck with your discussions with the vet, hope you get some answers :)

4. sussex

sussex Registered Users

thank you will be seeing vet as soon as her season is finished

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't really know anything much about it either, other than that there is a risk of incontinence for bitches after spaying, which may be a contra-indication for your girl..