Started barking when out walking

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by David, Jul 24, 2012.

1. David

David Registered Users

I've just been reading the recent post and article on barking but thought I'd start a new thread as the current "problem" seems a bit different.

It started yesterday when I was taking Lady with me in the car to the bank. I'd opened up the back of the Land Rover to cool off and receive the dog then went back into the house to get her. I opened the front door about 30 seconds later to be faced with the postman just about to deliver letters. Lady leapt out of the front door barking at him but then immediately stopped, wagged her tail and licked his hand. Then a couple of the neighbours children appeared in the drive (to say hello to the dog) and she did the same barking thing but I had her restrained by then. Made mental note to have her on the lead next time I open the front door if I'm not sure the coast is clear.

Then this morning in the fields she cranked up again to the sound of a farmer about 3 fields away calling to sheep to herd them into his yard. Off she goes again barking and bouncing up and down along the hedgerow. Then neighbour Nick appeared doing his morning jog and she clearly figured it was him so ok and stopped barking. Just the usual wag and hello as he passed with his dogs at the trot.

Feedback and advice greatfully received because I think this needs jumping on fast. She's previously been silent when out. She will be 3 in September.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Barking

Hi David, it is a little puzzling that this should arise now. Barking is often 'learned' but can be quite complex. It could be that these are isolated incidents, triggered by something in the situation that struck Lady as 'odd'. But I can understand your concerns. It is important not to let Lady reinforce the barking behaviour herself, so you need to distract her and make off in the opposite direction if she starts to bark at someone or something out on a walk.

I think I would be inclined to keep her very close the next few times you are out, and try to pre-empt a recurrence by frequent recalls and some great treats. If it happens again, you might need to take more action. Barking at people or other dogs in the distance is often triggered by some kind of anxiety.

There are a lot of videos about dealing with barking, on the Kikopup website. Try googling 'barking kikopup'

Pippa

3. David

David Registered Users

Re: Started barking when out walking

Thanks Pippa. Nice useful little videos. Here's hoping it's just a one off but I'll keep her close for a day or two.

4. David

David Registered Users

Well just got back from a walk with quite a few "suspicious" people around and she was fine. Fingers crossed!

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

That's great :)