Still having toilet accidents at 7 months

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, May 12, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Re: Still having toilet accidents at 7 months

Yes I fill his hollow rubber bone with treats when I leave after lunch.

We have the simple solution carpet spray but didnt know they do floor cleaner as well. Thanks I will get some of thier floor cleaner and give it a go

I forgot to take away his water last night...and as I expected he had peed overnight

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh dear....

I honestly think that a crate is the best chance you have to crack this. If there is nothing wrong with him physically or health-wise, and he is weeing at any time of day except the morning then I think it's happening because he just thinks it's ok to wee whenever he needs to go. Obviously he knows to go outside when you are at home, but he thinks its ok not to hold on if you are not there.

I know that you are not keen on a crate...but the constant cleaning must be getting you down.....

3. Trishad3397

Trishad3397 Registered Users

I would maybe take his water away when your Mam comes at 3 and then you put it back down when you get in. It is only a few hours and as long as your kitchen is not flooded with sunlight all day he should stay pretty cool and again on a night time. Scout is in her cage all night 10.pm to 8.am and she goes with no water and if we go out for a few hours she goes in her cage so again she has no access to water. her cage is well shaded and isn't in direct light at all. Everything is worth a try and if that doesn't help then maybe it is something else; is he stressing, lonely, separation anxiety, maybe he just needs a little bit more time to get the hang of things. A cage/crate is great because they aren't supposed to like sitting in their own mess so maybe try that. Sorry if I have repeated others.

Good Luck.

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Let the the enzyme cleaner soak in a bit to do its job and neutralise the smells.

5. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Bought the simple solution hard floor spray and he hasn't peed there since....fingers crossed!

He did poo last night but he has had a bad tummy and had the runs so cant really blame him poor boy!

Today he has been great....
    came home for lunch at 12pm and no mess...took him for a little walk around the block...came home and peed and had the runs again :(
    left to go back to work at 1pm....came home at 5pm and no mess again....went straight out for a pee

hopefully tomorrow will be just as successful :)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Great news about no accidents :) hope his tummy settles soon x

7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hopefully the first day of your new life

8. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

UPDATE:

Well (fingers crossed) things have been going very well. When i go home at lunchtime i have been taking him for a quick walk around the block and this seems to stimulate him to goto the toilet. So far he has only had one accident in the last week :)

Also for the last few days he has been going to the toilet on the lead on walks...something that he would not do before..he always used to wait until we got home before peeing/pooing

9. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Just thought i would post another update.....

Nero is getting much better....not quite 100% yet but definitely in the right direction. He has now been 2 weeks clean in the day and in the last 2 weeks he has only had 3 accidents overnight. The accidents seem to occur when i forget to take his water away at 8pm!

I am afraid to leave him with no water at all so i remove all water at 8pm and when we go to bed at 11pm i put just a very small amount down for him

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad to hear he's going in the right direction :)

11. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh that's great news, it sounds like you're making good progress! Keep up the good work :)

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's fantastic to hear. It must be such a relief! Well done on your patience and perseverance :)