Still regurgitating

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Kelsey&Axel, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Yes, I just want something that will clean his back molars. There is only one molar that gets a bit of tarter on it occasionally, I bought some dental chews that really do the trick. Before I bought them his one molar was pretty gunky:eek: But I would prefer a raw bone to a dental stick if it was easy to crunch up :D

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

3. MF

MF Registered Users

Wishing you the best of luck at the vet today. If the issues started after a particular event, perhaps as your mil if she did yank his collar. Or perhaps fed him something? Maybe he swallowed something foreign - I’ve heard of dogs throwing up rope, bras, etc several days later.

Re teeth, Snowie’s are very clean. Pity you found the raw diet difficult - makes all the difference for teeth. I’ve never had to clean Snowie’s teeth - he’s almost six yo. Re bones: make sure they’re not weight bearing - those are too hard and you risk a broken molar if your dog wants to really chomp down. Ribs and vertebrae are best if you’re feeding a large animal like a pig.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  4. Kelsey&Axel

Back from the Vet. They were very kind and great with Axel. I feel very comfortable with them. Axel was very well behaved too which was great, a bit of whining but not bad. They said for his age and breed he was the most calm lab they have ever met, also the tallest, my little pony;). I wish I could say his calmness is due to all my hard work but it’s not, he’s always been very calm and relaxed when in stores or the Vet Office. Too bad he wasn’t calm and relaxed on walks or in the car ;):rolleyes:

Anywho, the vet doesn’t think it’s mega-oesophagus which was great to hear. His lungs are clear and no concerns there. She thinks that it was brought on by stress of being left alone for the first time and then has ended with esophagitis. So we were given some meds to coat his throat and esophagus to hopefully stop the inflammation.

If that doesn’t work then we will go back for an X-ray. She did suggest soaking his food in water as an extra to try but I want to try the meds first and see how we get on as this came out of nowhere and he has been fine for almost 2 years with just dry kibble.

So 5 days of meds and then re-evaluate:)

Sven, MF, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kelsey&Axel

Yes, Axel is known for throwing up items weeks later lol. But this is different, it’s just regurgitated kibble, no vomit or any thing else but water and kibble. Wish they could speak and just tell us what is wrong with them.

MF likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Bless him. I hope the meds help him x

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I too hope his regurgitating is soon a thing of the past.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope he's ok now. He's such lovely big fella :inlove:

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

What a relief not mega-oesophagus. Hopefully all will come right with the meds.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  10. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope Axel is feeling better and it is starting to settle down a bit.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  11. Kelsey&Axel

Axel is doing well, but that’s how he always was which is a bit frustrating as he would just regurgitate out of nowhere. He hasn’t done it for 4 days now which is about a day longer than he would usually last. He’s been on the meds for almost 2 days now.

So hopefully he doesn’t regurgitate for the rest of the week then I’ll feel confident that all it was was esophagitis and then hopefully no more.

He goes to daycare today so he is roaring to go out the door :rolleyes: an hour early might I add. Silly boy:)

12. Milan Houdini

Milan Houdini Registered Users

P
    Use beef ribs if anything. Pork is too brittle

13. Milan Houdini

Milan Houdini Registered Users

I know this sounds weird but ours did that too sometimes. So one day after he drank his bowl of water, I was joking around patting him on the back to burp him and he burped like 3 times. Ever since then we did that and he doesn’t throw up his water anymore. I learned that they inhale a lot of air when they drink and they burp it out. Well the air bubble is below the water and when they burp well the water comes out too.

I’ve also read in an article just today that an elevated bowl can contribute to bloat. So you may want to read up on it.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Pork ribs aren’t any more brittle than beef ribs. Pork ribs are totally fine to feed. I’d choose pork ribs over beef ribs actually as they’re not as big and chunky as beef ribs.

Karen likes this.
  15. Kelsey&Axel

Yes axel does burp quite a bit when he gets his regurgitating fit happening. It started again this past week but only twice so far. I can tell if it’s going to happen now because of how often he burps.

16. Brady’smom22

Brady’smom22 Registered Users

Hi, I was wondering if Axel is feeling better? We had the same thing with my pure bred black lab Brady. Last August we dropped him off at his breeders for 2 weeks while my husband and I went on our honeymoon, he was 11 months old at the time. Fast forward 2 weeks, we pick him up and he is regurgitating undigested kibble anywhere from 2 to 8 hours later. This went on for a week.

We took him to the ER Vet who took xrays of his intestines and esophagus, found no blockage or megaesophagus. We changed his food to a no grain brand, and t seemed to work.

He still burps a lot, and licks his lips. I give him Pepcid everyday but it doesn’t seem to help. He actually just regurgitated for the first time today in 7 months - 12 hours after eating! So I am getting worried again.

Did you find out what was wrong with Axel?

17. Kelsey&Axel

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having troubles with your boy. We were given some medications that coated his esophagus and stomach to help with any irritation. The vet basically said that he was regurgitating so frequently because he was so irritated- esophagitis. He did stop after the medications. He still does it randomly but not frequently, once every few weeks, if that. I usually think it has to do with him drinking too much water and then eating, therefore causing the food to sit on top of all the water, but that’s just a guess.

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We sometimes get this with one of our labs.

Initially, it is triggered by stress, then, the act of regurgitation irritates the oesophagus, so creating a vicious cycle. So although the stressful event was over, the resultant effect of regurgitation persists. The last episode was when the kennels he went to for a few days "forgot" to put him along with another of our labs in the quiet chalet we had booked, so he ended up in their usual kennels, much too stressful for him. To say I was furious, was an understatement.