Stole food and manic pulling

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Atemas, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Last evening, I took Red to my daughter's so DH and I could go out. This has become a regular monthly thing so she has been there 4/5 times. They have a greyhound and his food bowl and water are always there in the hall. As he grazes on his food, there is often kibble in his bowl (same brand as Red's).

I got her out the car and boy, did she pull on her lead. 'Flew' into house with me hanging onto end of lead :eek:. She immediately charged around a corner and 'scarfed' a huge mouthful of his food :mad:. She then proceeded to pull me through their hall skating on their wooden floor into the kitchen. What an entrance :oops:.

I wasn't best pleased with her but knew she had remembered where the food bowl was and that it would likely have food in it. The pulling again is something she has always done so I suppose she thinks that's how she has to behave.

I know she is only 7 months and very young but her manners in our house are pretty good. I want her to be well mannered in other people's houses. I felt like I had an out of control dog (know she was excited but....).

Anything I can do to train a calmer way of entering someone's home? She probably went over threshold when she realised where she was going. Needless to say the bowl will always be removed when she is expected. (Apparently they had a lovely evening with her so I know she settled down after I'd gone :rolleyes:).

Naya likes this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When we were on holiday we shared a garden with next door's cottage. When their door was open Mollie flew in and ate every remnant of their dog's food and surfed all the counters!

Monsters these pups :rofl:

These episodes are to be expected, of course we train for steadiness - but in reality there will always be unexpected loopiness until they are two or three years old (at least - you should hear some Guide Dog owners' tales when their dogs are out of harness lol)

I keep Mollie on the lead and she's fine in unknown houses, totally hopeless when it's a place she recognises as fun.

Naya, Plum's mum and selina27 like this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I would treat it as any ither form of pulling and door manners. Any pull leads to you stopping if pulling continues turn around and go back to the car wait a couple of minutes and try again. She'll soon learn that the only way to proceed is by being calm and not pulling. With doors if she goes to charge through close the door so she can't and the door keeps closing until she is calm and under control to walk through.

When training like this I don't reward as the reward is getting somewhere they want to be :)

selina27 likes this.
  4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you @Jojo83, I will go a bit earlier next time and do as you suggest. I will ask my daughter to help so we can get Red to make an entrance to their house like she does here - a dignified sit and entering when asked to.

Jojo83 likes this.
  5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes she loves them all there and they love her so I do understand. Going to have a good go at doing some training to make a more dignified entrance and not like this :pull:

Naya likes this.
  6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@Atemas it can also be worth just doing some training trips without going in if distance isn't a problem as it helps our pups to learn that going somewhere doesn't always end in something exciting :)

7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

They are 3 miles away @Jojo83 so not unrealistic to do this :)

Jojo83 likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I love to think of sensible Guide Dogs letting their hair down when off-duty. Dogs will be dogs, after all.

Atemas likes this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is one such!

:rofl:

IMG_3927.JPG

Granca, Sven, Plum's mum and 4 others like this.
  10. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Took Red across to my daughter's for the evening. Had primed daughter to shut the door if Red dragged me up their drive from the car. Got Red out the car and there was no way I could get her to sit - she just started whining and pulling. Door gets shut, take her back to the car (with difficulty). By now she is 'crying' - a noise I have never heard from her before. I get dragged to the door again and she actually sat on request - door opens, in she charges. Well she is looking for the greyhound's food bowl which of course isn't there (poor Bruno was pts last week). My daughter lets her off lead and she literally runs around ground floor of house several times (looking for him?), then proceeds to jump up my daughter. This is going to definitely be a work in progress. When I went to get her, my daughter said she had been perfect - so that's good to hear.

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It does sound as if she was looking for Bruno. It's great that she settles into a model dog once she's left with your daughter. I wonder what would happen if your daughter came to the car BEFORE you get out with Red?

12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Oh yes, hadn't thought of that, thank you @edzbird - definitely worth a try. I love the way my daughter and family are taking 'on board' the training I do. My 10 year old grandson is particularly good with her so he could come to the car too.