Stopping aggressiveness in 6-month-old female lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by MyGirlVayda, Aug 14, 2019.

1. MyGirlVayda

MyGirlVayda Registered Users

Hello out there! My (almost) 6-month-old black lab, Vayda, is showing signs of aggression. Seeking tips on how to reverse this. Is there a way to train it out of her myself?

Sorry for the following novel, but here is some background:

It started a couple weeks ago at the vet. I was having them trim her nails and got scolded by one of the techs that Vayda was growling at them while they were trying to do the trim. Said that I needed to work with her more and get this corrected immediately. Fair enough, but I also know they had at least 3 people holding down my boisterous puppy for the trim. This had to have terrified her. I would growl too if three strangers were holding me down!

Nonetheless, I have been working with her paws every day since to get her a little more comfortable with being touched. So far I have experienced zero growling.

Cut to today. Vayda started growling/showing her teeth at ME for trying to take something away. Let me explain that my girl loves to steal kitchen towels, paper towels, etc. and play keep away from us when she wants attention. Depending on the item, I either ignore her (when it's something she can't swallow or harm her) or entice her to trade me for a treat.

Today, she stole a Kleenex right out of my hands - while I was trying to use it lol. She hid under the table with it and didn't attempt to play keep away, so I got down there with her to get it out of her mouth. Note that I frequently touch/get in my dog's mouth to check her teeth and/or get things out of it and she's never protested. Today she did with a deep growl, curled snout and exposed teeth. She even gave me a little snap. This was definitely not a game...

Any advice out there to stop this from becoming normal behavior?