strange behaviour with our elderly rescue lab

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Ropi123, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Ropi123

Ropi123 Registered Users

Hello
    We adopted our 10 year old about 4 months ago and for the past couple of weeks have noticed some different behaviour. He has started sleeping under our bed and sometimes gets stuck. Last night he also began pacing in the early hours. He also seems to be going off walks a bit.

We are concerned as until now we have seen such an improvement in the way he has adapted to being with us, and our 2 year old lab. Just wondering if anyone else may have encountered this?

Thank you.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I haven't encountered it with mine, though saying that, I have just remembered that my Lab when about ten years old suddenly became frightened by our smoke alarm, the battery was going and it make a squeak noise every few minutes. I got some calming tablets from the vet. With your dog, I am wondering if he is in pain? Or maybe something has frightened him?

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@Ropi123 , I would say you need to contact your vet to check him over, and perhaps take some blood.

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I agree, have a chat with your vet. It could be he is just a little unsettled by something or is a bit uncomfortable. Older dogs are rather stoic, and it can be difficult to know if something is wrong.
    Just want to add how lovely it is that you have adopted an older dog, and do hope the old lad is OK :hug:

5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Tilly, our 12 year old, often sleeps under a low bed in our bedroom and will often bark in the morning for reasons we can't figure out. She act like she can't get out from under the bed, but she always does on her own. She is deaf, and will bark when she wants something. Usually it is obvious, what she wants (Food) but some times it isn't.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Welcome to the forum :) Sometimes age related changes (like deafness) can affect a dog's behaviour, sometimes illness can too, so I agree that a trip to the vet would be worthwhile. Hope your dog is okay