Struggling to choose the perfect name for my puppy...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rae, May 10, 2017.

1. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Hi! I'm new to the forum and my puppy is only 3 weeks old so not home just yet. I'm trying to choose the perfect name for him - he's a black Lab.

The names I like are; Rocco, Milo, Enzo, Riley...

I need some help! I've read all the Labrador name sites and I feel so uninspired !

Any help would be fab! Thank you x

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Why not wait until you have him home and see what suits him?

b&blabs and Rae like this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I only found my boy, now almost 6 years old , two days before we brought him home , so I didn't have much time to think of names . When we got him home , he just looked like a Sam , so that's what he was ! You`ll have more idea when you bring him home

Rae likes this.
  4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi and welcome - how exciting for you a puppy coming home soon!! If like me when we got Bailey we had to give a name so that he was microchipped before we brought him home. When I saw him he looked like a glass of Bailey's Irish Cream with a lump of ice.....one of my favourite drinks btw - and when the breeder asked us what his name was I said Bailey.....my OH just laughed! However we have a Bailey!

Rae likes this.
  5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Mines called Stanley. OH wanted Archie but I was adamant he would be a Stanley :D

Now I can't imagine him being called anything else :heart:

Rae and MF like this.
  6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Our puppy was called Red Collar by the breeder as she had on.....surprise surprise....a red collar :). We started to call her Red as a temporary name saying we'd name her when we got her home. We had to name her for the microchip so we said Red. Somehow, the name Red just stuck. She is a yellow Labrador but a dark one and her fur has a reddish tinge :).

Good luck naming your puppy. Let us know.

Rae and MF like this.
  7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We had lists and lists and each vetoed names to the point I thought we would never have a name. We called her "puppy" for almost a week...then Quinn just appeared on both our lists and it fit her and that was it!

Rae likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Much more important than the name - make sure you get the Happy Puppy Handbook and read it cover to cover -------->

:)

Naya, Rae, chrisc831 and 4 others like this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

Our pup came as Archie from the breeder - all A named. We called him that for two weeks - struggled to call him that. Eventually we realized it just didn't fit. My husband loves Tin Tin and wanted a dog called Snowie. He didn't care if he was black! Good thing Snowie is whitish - but we do get funny looks and I always say, yes, a nice name for a small fluffy dog. Which has had the unexpected effect of making him very accessible to small children who, on learning his name, see a small fluffy dog and aren't afraid.

The other day I came across the list of names I made before we got him. Hilarious!

Best of luck. Anyway, you can always change it. And if you're like us, your dog will have lots of nicknames!

Rae, charlie and drjs@5 like this.
  10. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Ooh, how exciting. I found it really hard to name Libby and think boys are far easier to name as there are so many cool choices for them...but maybe not! I agree that it'll become clearer the more you know him. The black labs Libby plays with are called Mason and Buzz. Milo is fab, love that!

Rae likes this.
  11. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sometimes the name chooses itself. After weeks of trying to agree on a name we finally settled on Holly because it was Christmas and there were lots of holly wreaths around. Her puppy teeth were small and sharp just like the prickles on holly leaves. The name stuck!

selina27, Rae, MF and 1 other person like this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Oh, that's really funny. I had no idea that's where Snowie's name is from. I only know TinTin's dog's name as Milou!

I'm a big fan of human names for dogs. Enzo or Renzo has been on my short list for a long while, so that one gets an upvote from me. :)

My running theme for twenty years has been Celtic names. I'm not too picky on Scottish or Irish. Maybe if you like Enzo, you could look for other Italian names you like if you want more choices?

Of my own dogs, their names were Duncan, Tavish, Brogan and Jodhi (she came that way) and Happy (hey, I was five years old).
    Most of my fosters came with names, but the ones I got to pick were: Clare, Frodo, Molly, Emma, Grace

Rae likes this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Don't forget Manx names when you're picking your next Celtic dog-name ;)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from me, Hattie 9 years and our rescue boy Charlie 6 years. I always knew if ever had a bitch she would be called Hattie, my children threw a few names into the ring but for me it was always going to be Hattie. Charlie was called Blacky at the rescue home, he had had 3 names before that, poor boy :( I let my children name him, so Charlie it was, but I really would have liked Reggie, Hudson or Stanley but they had final choice not exactly the most original name but there you go! :rolleyes:

A good way to see if you have chosen a good name is stand at the back door and call it, see how it sounds! :) I like Rocco. Good luck choosing. x

Rae and MF like this.
  15. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm guessing you read it in French? Milou is such a pretty name.

My husband's favourite game is to invent ridiculous names for Snowie. Every night he has a new one. Like Snortlebee.

Emily_BabbelHund and drjs@5 like this.
  16. Rae

Rae Registered Users

I've just finished reading the Labrador handbook and thought it was fab! Will read this one next

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We took weeks deciding on a name before picking Harley (girl). It is a good idea to shout out the name and see how it sounds. Also, listen to people in parks and what common names are called out and try and avoid these.
    When are you picking your pup up?

Rae likes this.
  18. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Hi there, yes that is a good idea to go and have a listen in the park, thanks for your reply. I am picking him up in 5 weeks. Meeting him for the first time next week - can't wait! He is a litter of 5, 3 girls and 2 boys.

Naya and MF like this.
  19. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Thanks for your reply! I hope when I meet him next week I will figure out what name suits him best. He is currently called Tom by the breeder. Red is different - I like it! x

MF likes this.
  20. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I looked at names that translated as something, for example, Nisha means 'night' in Sanskrit, (I have a black bitch), Aki means Autumn in Japanese (she was born in Autumn), Naya means 'new' in Arabic. There were so many names I liked from other languages that meant love, beauty, dark etc but 'Plum' was what my son and I chose in the end, the first name that came into my head when we knew we were getting a pup, don't know why!

My choice would be Milo.

Rae likes this.