Struggling to choose the perfect name for my puppy...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rae, May 10, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

My Nelly was called green collar at first. Then I saw her and knew she was a Nelly!

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory was called belly by everyone in the office and me.I didn't get to pick him but I knew Buddha belly would be my dog.He was Duncan Rory or keelder, but the last time I went to see him at 6 weeks I realised he was Rory.

Rae, MF and drjs@5 like this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly's name was well thought out for years before committing to getting a dog - it was on a short list at least. We all voted and agreed by mutual discussion in the end. I note it was my daughter Sophie's list :rolleyes:

My son on the other hand, was an "Andrew" right up until when he was born. Then he turned into a "Scott". Best laid plans ;). We joke that we named him after the paper towel holder in my room (apologies to those non UK peeps who think that's nuts) :D

selina27, Rae and MF like this.
  4. Lara

Lara Registered Users

I love the name Plum! For some reason, I find it really cute when a dog is either called something that isn't a name at all (like another animal...Moose, Mouse, Piglet...or foods and fruit...) or on the other end of the spectrum, a really old fashioned traditional name (there is a lab called Wilberforce in our village, and another called Barnabus and an old clumber spaniel called Ernest) :)

Plum's mum and MF like this.
  5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Love the "Buddha belly". One of my foster dogs came as "Oso" (bear in Spanish, very popular big dog name in California) but he had such a big puppy belly that I started calling him "Oso Moso Buddha Belly" and it stuck. Try calling that mouthful out at the dog park. ;)

MF likes this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Another idea is to pick a temporary name and then just see what fits as you get on.

Brogan's foster home named him "Stefan" (which no offence to people named Stefan, but I hated) and then when I got him, he had these little piggy ears so I just called him "Piglet" for a month before settling on "Brogan".

On the other hand, there's the danger that the interim name sticks. I'm really glad Brogan didn't end up being "Piglet" for life. :D

Rae and MF like this.
  7. LJA

LJA Registered Users

I have a tortoise called Plum. But he's turned out to be a boy and a Sex Beast

8. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't need a registered name, his parents are called Pippa & Tarquin. He is currently named as Tom by the breeder so don't think theres a theme as such already... Just racking my brains thinking of a name but guess I'll just have to see what suits him when I meet him!

9. Rae

Rae Registered Users

Thank you to everyone for your replies! Lovely to see how you all chose the perfect name for your puppy. I am meeting him next week so hopefully I have a bit more of an idea :)

10. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

:D:D

11. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Rae, Google "dog names for boys" and you will have hundreds of them come up......then make a short list. Or, as I did... go through all the names, make a short list, and then name him something totally different. I have no idea where Cooper came up from, but that is my doggie's name!!! He is a male but I see on the Forum there are many lady doggie's also called Cooper!!!

drjs@5 and Rae like this.
  12. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Ash was named long before he arrived, in fact he originally wasn't even going to be a Lab but a Weimaraner.
    We were going to call a bitch Elsie.

Plum's mum, charlie and Rae like this.
  13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm fundraising to call a Guide Dog puppy Ray :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  14. Boogie

We had a narrowboat called Jamm butty. John, Andrew, Michael and Mags - our names and 'butty' is a narrowboat term. All very clever but we always called her 'Black Pig' and even had it sigwritten on the side :rolleyes:

15. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

We hovered between Thor, Musti, Buster, Luke, Hessu, Indy, Frank, Daddy, Aslan, Rudolph and Sherlock. It became the usual sauna discussion from November onwards, until we finally settled on Nelson in February.

One thing you can consider is choosing a name that also has a "connected" name too, that can be easily used in his/her presence without attracking his/her attention.

E.g. when we speak about our puppy when he is present, but don't want him to notice his name, we refer to him as "The Lord" or "Amiraali" (Finnish for admiral). It seems to work quite well.

Rae likes this.
  16. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Great name! I may be a little biased as my son's called Ray. :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  17. Boogie

It will take me a couple of years - but when I get the Pup's photo I'll show you :)

mandyb likes this.
  18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Going on the parent's names.... Pippa is a bit like Pippin which is short for Peregrine (from Lord of the Rings).

Tarquin was a King of Rome (there were a couple) so you could go for something Roman.... Apollo, Janus, Mercury, Cassius...

Rae, Emily and Stacia like this.
  19. Emily

Emily Registered Users

We decided that we wanted a human name rather than a dog name so we actually Googled baby names. I also wanted a two syllable name as I thought it would sound clear when I bellowed across the park. We got down to about 5-10 names, wrote them down on a piece of paper and left it on the fridge. After about a week we both settled on Ella :)

So, maybe try to narrow it down a bit first :)

And definitely imagine shouting the name across the park first :D

Rae likes this.
  20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh definitely do the shouting test!!!!! :D

Rae likes this.