Struggling with obedience recall

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Emily, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'm having trouble getting Ella to slow down on her recall. She's supposed to come to a halt with a nice straight sit in front of me but she runs in so bloomin' fast that I'm worried she's going to destroy my knees! Generally she either gets her nose in front of me and her bum skids past me or she runs so fast that she skids straight past me and leaps back in front of me when she's managed to stop. Clearly this is not great. Any ideas on how to slow her down?

(obviously a nice speedy recall is desirable in the ring but this is ridiculous)

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Firstly, stand with your legs apart - this'll protect your knees/legs as she'll go through them. This is hammered into us at training.
    How about sneaking a sit cue in as she's homing in? Might this work?

Emily likes this.
  3. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have a similar issue sometimes. I'm thinking of incorporating some place board training with the recall - ie with the board at my feet. Not very practical when out on a walk though!

Emily likes this.
  4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Thanks Sue :)

I do stand with my legs apart :). I still find 25kgs of brown fur hurtling towards me rather unnerving though o_O:eek:

It's interesting that you mentioned trying a 'sit' as she's approaching as someone else suggested this too. I tried a couple of times, using verbal and non-verbal signals, but struggled to get her to snap out of her sprint. I know this will be an issue if/when we reach the 'drop on recall' level too.

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ooh, that's an interesting idea. I've tried holding some yummy treats right in front of me before but she just managed to get her mouth to the treats as her bum kept skidding past :rolleyes:

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

A place board sounds like a great idea. On a walk you could use a square of carpet you carry in a rucksack, once the idea is in place.