Stuffed kongs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by karen reid, Apr 1, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Stuffed kongs

I think others DO use it.
    I wouldn't eat it myself so its not something I would have in the house. But same goes for pate which others use too.
    My staple is banana with yoghurt/peanut butter/honey/kibble/carrot/whatever else is hanging around.
    I have also done a tin of pilchards or sardines in tomato sauce whizzed up with water and used that - also done that with loads of water in summer and filled youghurt popts to make pupsicles :D

Discovered that left over tuna pasta bake is irresistable - going to use what I have left in a kong tomorrow.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I should think "it depends".... Charlie has a high % of his food in kongs and training treats, so I try to use his normal food and things I'm pretty happy for him to eat as part of his normal diet. Sandwich paste doesn't fall in that category, but I guess a bit time to time wouldn't hurt.

My mainstream kong is soaked kibble, but with a lot of water so it's not all absorbed. Mix in a tad of sardine, and the dust from the bottom of the sea biscuit bag etc or whatever, so all the water goes fishy, block up the small hole in the kong (so the water doesn't run out) and freeze. I can spread out 50g of kibble through quite a few kongs like this. Probably not something you want to start with, as the result is quite watery I suspect, but Charlie goes for them just fine. If you are short of time, just stuff with kibble, pour in water, and freeze.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5200.msg112037#msg112037 date=1411413455]

My mainstream kong is soaked kibble, but with a lot of water so it's not all absorbed. Mix in a tad of sardine, and the dust from the bottom of the sea biscuit bag etc or whatever, so all the water goes fishy, block up the small hole in the kong (so the water doesn't run out) and freeze. I can spread out 50g of kibble through quite a few kongs like this. Probably not something you want to start with, as the result is quite watery I suspect, but Charlie goes for them just fine. If you are short of time, just stuff with kibble, pour in water, and freeze.
    [/quote]

Same here - my two seem to enjoy soaked kibble, frozen, just as much as 'tastier' Kongs.

:)

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I am sorry to report that I have now had 2 Kongs fall apart on me, with a third on its way.

I have contacted Kong twice through their web-site, they haven't bothered to reply.

I'm giving Kong extreme a go, but after that it will be "Goodbye" to Kongs

5. ducky7886

ducky7886 Registered Users

Our lil boy does love his kong and I just recently was searching for new things to stuff it with...these recipes are GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Upgraded from Kong Puppy small, to medium today.

Bouncer loves it.

7. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

We have a new favourite they absolutely go nuts for and it's cottage cheese. With their passion for carrots we have two of the healthiest eaters around I think LOL

8. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=5200.msg118909#msg118909 date=1413964508]
    We have a new favourite they absolutely go nuts for and it's cottage cheese. With their passion for carrots we have two of the healthiest eaters around I think LOL
    [/quote]
    Glad to hear another carrot eater mine loves them too.

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow's favourite so far is mashed up sardines with pumpkin puree.

I've had issues plugging the bottom with food, so I wet the base and stick a piece of cling film over it. When I take it out of the freezer, I just run it under a tap for a couple of seconds to unstick it. Works brilliantly.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I usually use a bit of kibble and squeeze it in the bottom. Ours is just the right size to plug it perfectly.

11. snowbunny

I'm still on poppy kongs so the kibble is way too big. I tried peanut butter like I saw suggested by others, but the PB I have doesn't hold very well. I end up with leaky stuff all over my freezer :-\

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I put my Kongs in plastic cups, then fill with soaked kibble, then freeze.

:)

13. Leanangle

tuna & primlula

WOW

14. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Tuna and grated cheddar is a serious favourite here!

15. Leanangle

I just found this ultimate layering Kong.

Kibble/Honey/Kibble/Primula/Kibble/Honey/Kibble/Primula then freeze 8)

16. Leanangle

Sardines & Bovril :)

17. snowbunny

Ewwww!

Sardines - good. Bovril - goooooood!

This reminds me of an episode of Friends... :)

18. Kathy C

Kathy C Registered Users

I am reading here about Kongs. I know Louie is just 9 months old now and all of this is new to me. Is the idea to fill the toy? Is this any different than giving the dog a frozen beef bone? I know what you are putting in is better for the dog. Such a mouth oriented animal. I can't read enough fast enough but this would certainly be helpful.

Hugs. Which Kong to buy?

Kathy and Louie... We won't give Louie away. He sure is a wild one though! ::)

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Yes, you fill the kong with food. You can freeze it which means it takes them longer to get it out :)
    I have different size kongs, depending how long I want to keep her occupied for ;)

20. snowbunny

The kongs are safe to leave unattended too, whereas a bone might splinter and cause choking, or they could chip a tooth on it etc. They enjoy chewing the rubber of the kong even after the treat is all gone.

I have the medium sized red ones, which do well for my puppies for about half an hour.

There's all sorts of "recipes" on this thread - some people soak kibble and put that in before freezing it. My two favourites are tinned sardines mashed up with a few cubes of bread and a bit of water, or tinned tuna and cream cheese in layers.