Stuffed kongs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by karen reid, Apr 1, 2014.

1. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Re: Stuffed kongs

Ha, I assumed without the tomato sauce, she has cream vet bed ;-)

2. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I haven't ever frozen a kong for my Bella....but we routinely put chunks of baked potato, chicken, canned food, dry kibble, cheese, and mixed cooked veggies in her kong. sometimes a little peanut butter too...really depends on what we have on hand...she's so funny....she barks and bounces like a dang pogo stick while I'm stuffing it...

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=5200.msg148605#msg148605 date=1426012186]
    It makes one tin of sardines stretch to four kongs.
    [/quote]

Charlie wants to come live with you...a tin of sardines does 10 kongs in our house.... ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]photo (8) by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5200.msg148662#msg148662 date=1426023457]
    [/quote]

Charlie wants to come live with you...a tin of sardines does 10 kongs in our house.... ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

Aw, poor Charlie! Such a hard done-by boy! I'm surprised he's not wasting away with all the neglect ;D

5. Zacbrownpup

Zacbrownpup Registered Users

Newbie question - and do not laugh! (fine - laugh)

Sometimes I feel bad giving him a stuffed kong as a meal (or portion of his meal) because I worry about the bits and pieces he can't get out..

I am overthinking this, aren't I..

I did push a biscuit in there once that he wasn't able to get out... so I guess that's when I started thinking of this.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

If he can't get it out, can you bang the Kong on the ground to diligent the food left inside? I used to do this when Harley was younger and couldn't work out how to get the let few bits out.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I once left Lilly a kong that was so stuffed full if raw carrot battons, she really didn't stand a chance.
    I didn't think that one through.......
    felt very guilty :-[
    But as Ternaya says.....just a little help can sort that out.

8. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5200.msg148662#msg148662 date=1426023457]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I was just thinking I needed to get more kongs (want to be able to make a few days worth in one go, she just has 3 right now, 2 small 1 large)… I think I see my future freezer here!

9. snowbunny

I need to increase my kong quantities. Four kongs and two doggies it not a good ratio. I think Julie's freezer looks a little sad, though. There is clearly room for another shelf in there!

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

My freezer drawer looks like Julie's on a Saturday,think I've got 15 last count ,that will be a weeks supply ....I used to have a production line of all the ingredients laid out,took me ages to prepare,chop and smash ( sea biscuits) everything up.when I changed Dexters food in November over his ear issue,we went on a food trial and stopped everything other than his kibble,so kongs became soaked kibble with hard kibble mixed in ( for a bit of variety ::))
    I discovered :
    1. These kibble only frozen kongs are received as enthusiastically as the multi ingredient time consuming to prepare ones.
    2. The kibble only ones last exactly the same amount of time as the MITCTP ones ;D

So we've stuck with the kibble only ones .. Poor Dexter,Bad Dogmum Angela :-[

He does get sea biscuits and sea jerky again now though ;D

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yeah, anything will do in a kong for Charlie, we long gave up the fancy ingredients. I think they just get addicted to kongs, then you can drop the whole "fresh sardine on a crushed seabiscuit pile, with kibble jus" thing....

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5200.msg150959#msg150959 date=1426916304]
    fresh sardine on a crushed seabiscuit pile, with kibble jus"
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've got nine Kongs for two dogs and six hollow bones (which are used in exactly the same way but only given when supervised) The hollow bones last a lot longer than Kongs as they can't squeeze them to get the food out.

So they have a Kong whenever I leave them and a filled hollow bone after each meal.

I soak kibble, then fill the Kongs and bones, then freeze. I do this every morning and use some of their meal allowance. When I give them to the dogs I smear a little marmite on top.

They always hang around when I'm Kong and bone filling as they get to drink the 'kibble gravy' which is left after soaking :)

Here is Gypsy with hers -

[​IMG]

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5200.msg150959#msg150959 date=1426916304]
    "fresh sardine on a crushed seabiscuit pile, with kibble jus" thing....
    [/quote]

I missed that - haha!

[​IMG]

15. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Maisie has never had a sea biscuit, but I did make her a rather fancy "strawberries and cream cheese" kong on kibble once.

I think she would be happy to have just regular kongs (stuffed kibble) but I like mixing it up because I find it kind of fun. Her kongs are mostly kibble with an add in for fun or to make them harder to get out. For example I like smushing in banana and kibbles and smushing them together so it's difficult to get out and lasts longer. It's all about how long it lasts for me, since Maisie only gets a kong when I leave.

I've put - banana, sardines, pb, strawberries, cucumber, peas, cream cheese, cheddar cheese … you name it in there with kibble.

16. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Registered Users

About to buy some kongs ready for our new pup - would you recommend getting the puppy ones to start with or just going straight for the normal ones? Thanks :)

17. Zacbrownpup

Zacbrownpup Registered Users

;D I finally made a stuffed Kong that kept Zac occupied for more than 10 mins!!

Soaked kibble and cut up cheese topped off with peanut butter - frozen. ALLELUIA!!!! SO worth the effort of making them along side everyone's lunches in the morning and having it ready when relax on the couch.

Thanks for all the suggestions on ingredients and the encouragement to keep trying them!

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=AnnaBanana link=topic=5200.msg151826#msg151826 date=1427215322]
    About to buy some kongs ready for our new pup - would you recommend getting the puppy ones to start with or just going straight for the normal ones? Thanks :)
    [/quote]

Not sure if anyone else has responded to your query but I bought the Puppy Kong for Juno and she was 10 weeks when we brought her home and she happily played with that size until a couple of months ago. I also ought the Kong Puppy Teether which has ribbed rubber all down the sides and found Juno chewed that a lot when teething but had to dispose of it when her molars were coming through as between them and her sharp little front teeth she began shredding bits of rubber

19. snowbunny

I have puppy medium size and bought adult medium size when I thought was appropriate. I was very surprised that they're the same size, just different thickness of rubber. Still, a frozen medium kong will keep either of my 8-month-olds busy for about half an hour. They're not power chewers, though. I'm about to buy a few large ones for when I need them to be occupied for longer.

20. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Boogie, what is marmite? Sorry, I live in the USA!!!
    I use Kongs all the time....kibble, string cheese, PB, little treats mixed in with kibble. Soak kibble, mix with whatever, top off with PB and into the freeezer.
    My pup is now 13 months old but have been using the adult Kongs since he was 6 months old....he is a chewer!