Sudden passing of my big chocolate lab, Melvin

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Beth Anderson, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Beth Anderson

Beth Anderson Registered Users

Our sweet, gentle and mischievous Melvin crossed the rainbow bridge on Saturday evening, February 23rd. He was a rescue and had only been part of our family for 18 months... but the pain is as bad as when we lost our yellow lab of 14 years.

It was a typical Saturday morning... rainy and quiet. We had friends visiting (with their little dog) and I decided to run out to pick up breakfast. My friend and I were gone for exactly 19 minutes. We returned with breakfast - greeted by 3 doggies at the door - our two pups and our friends dog - as I walked into the kitchen, I noticed that a bottle of prescription medicine was on the floor and all the pills were strewn across the rug. Our friend had left her overnight bag on the bathroom floor and our chocolate had gotten into it in a matter of minutes. Panic. Our lab, Melvin (110lbs) was notorious for getting into stuff - I knew immediately that he was the culprit. We were able to deduce that about 6-10 pills were missing. The prescription was an anti anxiety medicine and each pill was 25mg. We called the vet and attempted to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, but only one dog threw up. The vet said we could try activated charcoal in pill form to neutralize what might be in their stomachs and to keep and eye on them. With Melvin's size - poison control did not think that the dose was lethal. Approximately 10 hours later - after a completely normal day of doggie activity - we were getting ready to eat. I had some food delivered and all the dogs followed me to the door. As I was getting everything on the table - I looked over and saw Melvin playing with frisbee - he then came over and watched as I emptied a bag of chips into a bowl. Typical. He loved food. No more than 60 seconds later, I heard a whimper and watched him collapse to the floor. I called his name and went over to him - he was only about 2' away from me. I said he name again and rubbed his belly. Nothing. We rushed him into the car and drove him to the vet. A four minute drive. He was gone. That fast. Needless to say, our house is not the same. The vet does not believe that the pills caused his death, but could have exacerbated and underlying issue - a heart defect, a tumor... We are shell shocked, shattered and broken. I know in my heart of hearts... every dog I love is only in our lives for a short time. But I have never lost a dog like this. I know we will heal and I know we will experience this again - but I feel so empty.

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Beth, I'm so, so sorry to read Melvin's story. He sounded like a wonderful dog. Your post contains an important reminder for all of us about the importance of keeping medicines out of the reach of pets, and though this can only be a small consolation, maybe that will save another dog one day. I for one will certainly never forget reading this. Sincerest condolences, Sarah.

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

I am so sorry for your loss. It's desperately sad when accidents like this happen :(

4. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I am so sorry Beth, how totally devastating for you and your family.

Rest in peace beautiful Melvin.

My thoughts are with you.

5. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

My deepest condolences on the loss of your Melvin :heart:

6. KarenD

KarenD Registered Users

I send my condolences to you Beth and your Family. What a tragedy and such a shock for you all. Melvin sounds a character and a gorgeous boy. Its was so unexpected, maybe some consolation is that he had just spent a fabulous day with you doing the things he enjoyed. Look after yourselves in your time of grief, remember your handsome boy and all the good times you shared. Sending you love and hugsxx

7. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

I am so so sorry, thinking of you and your family