Suddenly Hiccups in an Adult

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dawn_Treader, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Mocha is 19 months, and suddenly since 2 weeks she begins to hiccup. I fear that she has again eaten a toy and it's stuck in your stomach. Most hiccup related threads are regarding puppy hiccups. This is different. She never hiccups. Has anyone else had this, and what could it mean? Of course I can take her to the vet and get an ex ray, but only if there is a good reason. She just had an ex ray a month ago and I don't want to flood her with radiation. Thanks for any advice or sharing any experience.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If she has eaten a toy and it is stuck in her stomach you need to take her to the vet straight away as she could get peritonitis. If you are concerned about a second x-ray, the vet in the first instance can palpate her abdomen and get an idea. Is she still eating and drinking and pooing etc? Best to have a check up anyway re the hiccups.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

In humans, hiccups can indicate irritation of the diaphragm, which separates the lungs from the abdomen. Not entirely sure its the same for dogs,
    I don't think I would want to ignore it if it was ongoing. At least ask advice from the vet I would suggest. If they say its nothing to worry about, that's great.