Suggestion for Pippa

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Feb 20, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pippa, I was wondering why you don't run your own Gundog/Pet dog classes or one to ones, I would certainly be your first client!? ;) Helen & Charlie

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Suggestion for Pippa

Hi Helen,

There are many really great dog trainers in this world. I am merely competent.

My real skill lies in writing, and in taking complex concepts/scientific principles and explaining them so that anyone can understand. At least I think that is where my skill lies! Some may disagree! :eek:

I could spend an hour teaching one person, or even a small group of people. Maybe ten at most.
    Or I can spend an hour writing something that might help dozens or even hundreds of people.

For me that's a 'no brainer'. That's how I feel about it.

Right now, The Labrador Site alone is reaching 45,000 dog owners each month. My gundog site over 7,000. I feel that is quite a responsibility. Keeping these sites updated and working on my next book takes up all my time. And then some ;D

I think we all need to use the skills we have been given. Quite apart from the fact that I love training my own dogs, and I love writing. There are only so many hours in the day and life is very short!

Pippa

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I get incredibly frustrated at websites that aren't kept up to date or are permanently 'under construction' I think you've done a brilliant job on both sites. Having such a great resource as well as the lovely people on the forum was a brilliant confidence giver on having our first dog.

Thank you :)

4. pippa@labforumHQ

Thanks Barbara! Much appreciated :D

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pippa, you are of course right, your books help so many people and their dogs which must bring you such joy, and I know how much it has helped me and Charlie. I was really being selfish and wishing you ran your own dog classes ;) ;)

I agree 100% with Barbara, the work you do on this site is wonderful and must take hours of your time, but we all appreciate it so much and it is so worth it to us.

How is your new Grandson doing, any name yet?

Thank you Pippa. Helen x :D

6. pippa@labforumHQ

Hi Helen, the little guy is doing great. I will ask his Mum if I can post a pic. ;D His name is Ned. And it is you that have really helped Charlie. You are doing a grand job!

Glad you enjoy the site. I am very lucky to be able to do what I enjoy, and we are fortunate to have such a great bunch of people here on the forum ;D

Pippa

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ned what a lovely traditional name, would love to see a picture if you are allowed. I disagree, without you, Total Recall and all the smashing people on here Charlie would definitely not be doing as well, and I would still be watching his rear end disappear into the distance, of that I am sure. I thank you for your encouragement :) Helen

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=1217.msg7720#msg7720 date=1361392501]
    My real skill lies in writing, and in taking complex concepts/scientific principles and explaining them so that anyone can understand. At least I think that is where my skill lies! Some may disagree! :eek:
    [/quote]

Works for me Pippa!
    I am what you call a "reflector" in learning terms (Honey and Mumford) and your book style is perfect for me.
    Unfortunately Lilly is an Activist -"Activists are those people who learn by doing. Activists need to get their hands dirty, to dive in with both feet first. Have an open-minded approach to learning, involving themselves fully and without bias in new experiences" - and I haven't quite worked out to develop my own teaching style to her method of learning - ::)

Keep up the writing!

jac