Suprelorin

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Philip Ward, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Philip Ward

Philip Ward Registered Users

We lost our chocolate lab to a cancerous cyst on his spine a few months ago at the age of 5 1/2. A heartbreaking experience which is still painful to us all. He had been incredibly healthy and energetic. His only fault was being too friendly to all he had come in contact ! He had 3 doses of Suprelorin. 2 consecutive at the age of about one. He then fathered 2 litters and had the a 3rd dose at about 4 years. We have been wondering if there is any connection between his untimely death and Suprelorin.

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi Philip, I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss of your chocolate boy. How absolutely awful for you, and so young.:(:(

I also have had a chocolate boy implanted with Suprelorin, with good effect.

On discussion with my vet, who has used Suprelorin extensively, there were no safety signals identified. The only changes to the product characteristics submitted through post marketing surveillance have been around behaviour changes, and recommendations. I haven't checked recently though. The implant has been around for a good number of years now, normally any safety signals post license are flagged quite early. Saying that I would have expected these to be picked up much earlier in regulation clinical studies.
    The best authority however would be your vet.
    Again, deepest condolences.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Philip , I am so very sorry for your loss , my sincere condolences . I`m sorry I cant offer any advice or information about the suprelorin , but wanted to offer my sympathies .

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Philip, I just wanted to say how very sorry I am to hear you lost your lovely boy, so young, so very unfare :(:( Thinking about you and your family at this very difficult time :( x

5. MF

MF Registered Users

I am so sorry for your loss. Devastating.

Is there a reason why you think there is a connection to the suprelorin?

6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Just wanted to send you my sympathy. We suddenly lost our lab Penny to cancer at that age, too. Thinking of you.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sorry that you lost your beloved dog. A dreadful and heart wrenching experience.

I'd be really surprised if there was any connection at all between the cancer and the Suprelorin. I'd say that it was just horribly bad luck that he developed cancer, and that it had absolutely nothing to do with any medication, any aspect of his diet or anything else that he experienced in his life or any decision that you had made. Just a really sad thing that could not have been prevented.

8. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I am so sorry about your darling boy. Sorry I can not help you and you should talk to your vet, they would be the best to know.