Surviving xmas

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jacqueline Mckendrick, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Odie as a puppy (Pomeranian) chewed off all the little tassels on the tree skirt, but that was it. Axel our lab was turning one just after Christmas and he was completely fine. Now this year I’m already dreading it with our kitten :cwl:

kateincornwall likes this.
  2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

When Cooper was a pup, we put her playpen around the tree. Now, she and Tilly leave stuff alone, but we try to never have food under the tree.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We didn't have a problem with the tree, but it is usually in the lounge which is a lesser-used room, but still accessible to all. We even put gifts at the bottom.
    One gift of Sophie's from a school chum was prematurely "opened", and yes, it did have food in it. :rolleyes:
    We have had a couple of broken baubles, but mostly from excessive tail wagging rather than deliberate chewing.
    I think a lot of folk opt for putting the tree in a puppy pen.

Who was it that had a dog that pee-d on the christmas tree? Was it @Oberon's predecessor??? Maybe not - apologies if I am wrong :D

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We've never had puppies, so you'd think christmas was safe....oh no. When we had Scooby (large adult), we put a small tree on top of a stool, on top of the coffee table. The only way to keep it safe from the Labrador Tail. Whilst Coco does indeed have a magnificent tail, it isn't anywhere near as destructive as the Labrador Tail. Our tree just sat on the coffee table last year...it did suffer some minor bashes. It's not all about mischief...;)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

This may be the answer guys,

christmas tree.jpg

snowbunny, Naya, Kelsey&Axel and 7 others like this.
  6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hahaha ! We watched in horror , when our young cat climbed up the tree , right to the top , then did a leap of faith onto the mantelpiece , knocking all the family cards flying , then leapt back to the tree and jumped down , good luck with your kitten ! x

drjs@5 and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Haha!! Greatttt can’t wait! I’m thinking no dangling items on the tree this year, just to save my decorations :rolleyes:

Aitch and kateincornwall like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory did a wee up my mums Christmas tree when he was about 18 months old she laughed her head off

9. Holly Chocolate Loveheart

Holly Chocolate Loveheart Registered Users

I live in naive hope ...

10. Paige Bower

Paige Bower Registered Users

My pup is seven months (it's almost Christmas). He barked at first.... and now we have zero issue! I think it depends on the pup.

11. Lisa Cali

Lisa Cali Registered Users

Cooper will be 7 months and I’m only going to get a small tabletop tree. There’s no way I’d trust him around all those ornaments and such until next year. And my LR is too small to put a gate around the tree - we did that when my twins were Babies but we have another couch now and it just won’t work. it’s ok. It’s one year

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  12. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

Thought about this couple of months ago knowing Hero's propensity to chew on anything especially plant life in the garden. I have no rose bushes left. We've always had a floor to ceiling tree in living room. It's been loved as a climbing place and lovely thing to sleep in by 3 of the 4 cats we've had previously and after the first time it went clean over, placed it near something solid or a picture hook or shelf bracket we could fix it to. With pup had to have bit of a rethink cos not doing without. Children always expect Nanny's house to look like santas grotto and not disappointing them. Put up the tree in November a bit at a time to give him chance to get used to it being there but no he wanted to eat it so have made decision to put it in conservatory which goes off living room and gate it off because he wouldn't leave it alone. Have overdone the ceiling deccies and higher up things which he hopefully can't reach....although he's tried a few times.....to compensate for not having things on the floor. Don't think I'll trust leaving any pressies about...he has a thing about tearing up every bit of paper he can get hold of. Hoping he will get used to it but no matter what we don't do Christmas without all the trimmings so just looking for ways to do while making it safe and unobtainable for out hurricane pup.

13. guzcaster

guzcaster Registered Users

Our Tree is up ( I got into the US habit of putting it up straight after Thanksgiving) and Arnie isn’t that bothered...I’ve put any breakable ornaments at the top and he’s given it a few sniffs and had a little nibble on one branch but as it’s not real he wasn’t bothered....I’ve got some great pics of him sat next to it with his Christmas scarf on! Now we’ll see what happens when we put presents round it on Christmas Eve....I think he may find those more interesting but he won’t be left alone to do any damage!

14. Willia Secord

Willia Secord Registered Users

Congratulations to all friends of Labradors on the upcoming holidays.) Happy New Year, Christmas. I wish our dogs did not get sick. And they enjoyed life!