Susan Garrett recallers

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Emily, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Has anyone done this online course?

I'm doing (and enjoying) the free "It's YerChoice Summit" at the moment. A friend has recommended the Recallers course but it is pretty expensive so I was interested in hearing what other people had thought of it :)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have joined the Absolute Dogs Training Academy. There are people on there who have done both. They are very similar, by all accounts, which isn't surprising as Lauren and Susan have worked together in the past. I think the main difference is in the delivery. I'm enjoying the games from TA and it's definitely increased my repertoire of things to do with my dogs. I would say that I've not learnt anything groundbreaking so far, but it focusses your mind a bit when you're paying for something :)

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

How so?

Yes, I had thought of this :)

Ella's no super trial champion but she does actually know quite a bit of obedience stuff now. However, I think the missing link is the strength of our relationship when it comes to "work". Ella was working beautifully off lead today at our dog club and successfully stayed with me while dogs broke, did zoomies etc. But, at one point she spotted my friend (one of the instructors) and broke from my side to sprint to her, do one circle around her and immediately recalled to me, even doing a beautiful straight sit in front when she got to me :rolleyes:

Afterwards I was chatting with my friend and we were discussing the fact that, at that moment, Ella found it more rewarding to run to her than to stay with me. That's how we got onto this conversation...

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I haven't done the Recallers course but like you I've been watching the free videos and following the Facebook page.
    Of course it's good to see reward-based training but I've got one or two reservations. Unless I've misunderstood, Susan Garrett seems to prefer capturing behaviour and shaping and doesn't seem to like luring -and I don't think I agree. I also disliked the woolly references to dopamine release, which she appears to say comes when a dog makes a decision. I've been reading a lot over the last few months about Parkinson's disease in humans and dopamine pathways and receptors seem much more complicated than this. I was disappointed that she didn't give a reference -on Facebook just said google.

I also followed the free Absolute Dogs that was available recently, but again haven't joined the program-no spare cash! Tom and Laura are very English and very hyper, but also likeable.

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Thanks Joy, that's really interesting. Yes, I see what you mean re shaping rather than luring and I do find Ella can become quite easily frustrated when we're shaping. The other thing I have noticed (so far - I'm only a couple of videos in) is that it's aimed towards the 'problem dog' rather than the dog that has had some limited success in training but wants to develop further. But I'm wondering if the Recallers course is more advanced than this.

I noticed this too and was equally disappointed.

6. snowbunny

Sorry, I'm away at the moment, so not on top of replying...

This :D

7. snowbunny

Tom and Lauren also seem to prefer not to lure (as I said, the two programmes are apparently very similar). I'm more than happy to lure with my dogs; I have shaped in the past, but luring is far faster. I think their reluctance to do so is simply because people don't fade the lure quickly enough, even if directed to do so, so when directing a course from a distance, it's "safer" to use shaping, so you don't end up with a swathe of handlers complaining their dogs only work for the bribe.

selina27 likes this.