Swimming in salt water effects?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Neil, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Neil

Neil Registered Users

Hi all another query. We are off on holiday in a few weeks, and Brodie will have regular access to the sea. We have had days out to the coast and he loves it. We will be renting a rural cottage in Devon which has woodland walks and a stream with an area big enough for a lab to fully submerge (we have been before). My query is will Brodie need to be shampooed after being in the sea several different days or will regular stream paddling erradicate any residual salt in his coat or on his skin? I know a number of you owners will be coastal, and will have labs who are in the sea perhaps on a daily basis we are 70 miles from the coast, so our visits to the seaside are less frequent. I dont know if salt has a drying effect or no effect on his skin and coat. Thanks.

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I shouldn't think he'll need shampooing. I hose Coco down after a swim in the sea to get the salt out, but that's all. He probably doesn't even need that, I just think of how I feel after a dip in the briny - I need a rinse. Have a wonderful holiday with Brodie!

Neil likes this.
  3. MF

MF Registered Users

It has never crossed mind to shampoo my dog after being in the sea. I personally love salt water in my hair and on my skin, so I guess I assume the same for my dog! He does, however, usually take a dip in our pond at home, which I guess gives him a rinse. A friend with a choc Lab always sprays her boy off with the hose pipe after the beach.

There will be a lot of sand! Be prepared for small piles of sand wherever he sleeps inside!! Take lots of towels for wiping off sand before coming inside, and for lying on inside to catch the sand!!!

Neil likes this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My lad goes to the beach often , we usually drop by a local river on the way home so that he can get rid of most of the salt , but I don't get too paranoid about it ! As said by @MF its the sand , lots and lots of sand !

DebzC, Neil and MF like this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yeah, sand :D
    Usually a towel down helps the sand, I don't bother about a rinse, unless there has been stinky dead fish rolling/dead seal rolling/dead bird rolling....you get the picture. Then its a shampoo, or she won't get up on the bed at night :facepalm:

Neil likes this.
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I live by the sea too and I don't rinse off sea water.

Neil likes this.
  7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

If he hasn't been in the ocean before, he may drink too much of it and throw up. Tilly did that once, but never again. She must have warned Cooper about it.

We try to rinse the dogs off in a fresh water stream, but I don't think it really matters.

8. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I live by the sea and it hadn't crossed my mind to rinse my pup after a swim.

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I rinse the dogs off after if I can, just to get the sand off really and I don't think the salt on their coat is particularly nice for them. In a similar vein I never throw tennis balls into the sea, as due to the shape of the ball they are likely to take on board a fair amount of salt water which is really not good for them.

10. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

I know this is an old post, but Mocha and I are in Biarritz and her skin on her belly has never looked more clear and healthy before. I never thought I would experience my dog being so happy playing in the sand and ocean.

selina27 and drjs@5 like this.
  11. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I live close by the sea. When Finn has a dirty stinky coat we let him swim. Never rinse it of. His furry coat will be very soft after the swim in the sea. We never use shampoo, seawater it is..!