Teaching Middle

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JenBainbridge, Feb 18, 2018.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So this morning I've been teaching Stanley "middle".

He's figured out going through my legs really quickly, but I can't get him to pause there. Anyone got any tips?

Ta :)

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

We call this 'peekaboo':)
    I think, as soon as his head appeared I initially got him to quickly sit, and treated straight away. He now automatically stops walking as soon as his shoulders are level with my knees awaiting a treat.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How are you training? If you're luring, you can try just lifting the lure up. With Shadow, I used a hand on his chest to restrain him - you'd have to make sure your dog is happy with this if you choose it. If you're shaping, then click for position and slowly build duration.

The aD way to train it is to restrain the dog away from your legs (pushing him backwards - again, you need a dog that has been conditioned to restraint) and then reward between your legs. I personally didn't like this method for my dogs, who weren't used to pressure at the time. I've done more restraint since then to increase arousal and they are getting better with it.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  4. JenBainbridge

Thank you. I'll give those a try :)

No I don't think he'd like being restrained. Hes quite enthusiastic and I wouldn't want to upset him. He shouldn't mind a hand on his chest though.

I'll try either lifting the lure up or getting him to sit before this though. Hopefully they will work :)

5. snowbunny

Think about what you want from the finished picture. If you're happy with a sit, great, but I personally want my dogs to stand unless otherwise instructed in Middle. I want to be able to walk, turn around etc with them between my legs.

Be careful with the lifting of the treat, too. Shadow is so enthusiastic with Middle that he bounces between my legs then flings his head up.... often right into my froo bone. It's hysterical and eye-watering in equal measure :D

6. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

This sometimes happens if I get him to sit... Yes beware especially if you are short

7. JenBainbridge

Oh I'm only 5ft 2.

Might have to get OH to have a go ;)

snowbunny likes this.
  8. Boomster

Boomster Registered Users

I'm working on this one at the moment too - I quite often give a couple of treats when he's in the middle which makes him pause there a while as the treats keep coming. Or I sometimes slow the treat bit down and have a little chat first with him there then give him a treat :)

I also throw the next treat out in front or behind for him to go and get - so he also waits in the middle bit while waiting for the treat to be thrown.

I'm a shorty too - so I can see the dangers once he's fully grown! He's still little enough for me to get away with at the moment!!

selina27 likes this.
  9. snowbunny

Also introduce a release cue as soon as you can as this will allow you to add duration. I'm working on this at the moment, so throwing treats and toys while they're in middle but they have to wait for the release cue before they get it :)

10. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I have no memory of how I got Plum to sit. I remember thinking I wasn't going to master it because I'm short and I had to keep lifting my right leg up to let her through but it all came together pretty quickly and I don't have to lift my leg anymore !

I think I must have clicked and treated her as soon as she stopped between my legs and she possibly sat automatically because that's what she does when waiting for a treat.

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

If I say ‘middle’, Red immediately does it and sits - didn’t train the sit, she just automatically did it. That’s fine as if I then say ‘stay’, she will stay until I release her. I have got up to a minute with her which is pleasing as she happily waits staring at a handful of kibble tossed on the floor until I give my release cue. As she is always hungry, I reckon this is good and wonder if there is anything to be gained by making her wait longer?

12. snowbunny

Probably not, but maybe work on increasing the value of the distraction? Add movement of yourself, see if she can stay in middle as you turn on the spot and move around?
    For me, I'd drop the "stay" and expect "middle" to mean middle until you give the release.