Teenager rejecting a boisterous 10 week old Labrador puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen Brown, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Karen Brown

Karen Brown Registered Users

Hi, I’m new to these forums and will introduce myself in the proper thread but have a particular issue I need help with. We have a 10 week old pup, Maya, who is doing everything a lab puppy does for her age- biting, growling, jumping, launching herself at us. I’ve owned 2 labs before from puppies but you forget how full on they are as pups. The problem I have is that I have a 17 year old daughter who has mental health issues and isn’t coping at all with the boisterous behaviour. She’s tearful when it happens and runs away from me and the puppy and isn’t bonding at all. I’m struggling myself with puppy blues as my hubby is working away so I’m holding the fort. In actual fact our puppy is coming along really well compared with my last one and toileting is getting there nicely after having her for 11 days. She has learned basic obedience items. However she doesn’t respond to commands from my daughter. She starts puppy classes at the end of the month. Any ideas on how to tackle the issue with the puppy and my daughter would be appreciated as our last lab was her best friend and I’d like for her and Maya to form a strong bond

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi Karen

here is a beginning ...

if you are crate training your puppy (and you should be) then get your daughter to interact with the puppy when she is in the crate. That is, when the puppy is quiet get your daughter to drop treats in the crate. Later she can leave the room and come back straight away and sit back next to the crate. If puppy is quiet, then get daughter to drop treats in the crate.

3. Karen Brown

Karen Brown Registered Users

Thank you for replying. Maya is crate trained so we’ll give this a try.

Michael A Brooks likes this.