Teeth cleaning - how often?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Karen, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I had never cleaned a dog's teeth before we got Merlin... However I have started now, and I clean his teeth two to three times a week. He is pretty good about it - he doesn't like it, but he puts up with it, and clearly feels it is worth it for the treat he gets afterwards.

Since I am doing his teeth anyway, I decided to start cleaning Poppy's teeth as well. She really, really doesn't like it, and clearly thinks the toothbrush is an implement of the devil. In her mind, we managed over five years without the dreaded teeth cleaning, why do we have to start now?? She clamps her mouth shut, and although she will then allow me to open her mouth gently and do a bit of cursory brushing, she gives me the evil eye while I am doing it. I am just doing very short sessions with her, slowly getting her used to it, and giving her lots of rewards while doing so.

I am hoping that two or three times a week is enough. I don't want to subject them (or me!!) to a nightly routine, unless it's really necessary. I'm not even sure that it is really very useful, but even if it doesn't completely stop the build up of tartar, at least I am very aware of the state of their teeth and would quickly realize if there was a problem.

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I clean Ripple's teeth every night but I use Logic toothpaste that he absolutely loves. Quite often he's had the toothpaste off the brush before it's in his mouth:rolleyes: and then he's a bit reluctant with the cleaning, but he does let me do it.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What toothpaste are you using? Mine really like the Logic gel and it does make a huge difference. Willow really doesn't like having her back teeth done, but even getting the gel onto her front teeth is enough for it to do its work around the rest of them. If I let it slide for a little while, I'll notice some discolouration, but a few days of this and they're sparkly white again.
    I do try to do it every day and they've all become far more accepting of it as time has gone on. I found using the little blue finger brush that comes with the gel was a good introduction but have progressed to a proper brush now, which makes the actual brushing part more effective.
    I don't use treats afterwards - they all line up when I get the toothpaste out! I don't need to tell you that there's no way Willow or Squidge would do that if they really didn't think they were getting a good deal :D

I used to use a different paste and it was nowhere near as effective.

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I'll have to give that a go! I've got some sort of generic doggy toothpaste...

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Right, I've ordered it. I'll let you know how we get on... Thanks for the recommendation!

snowbunny likes this.
  6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Logic is fantastic ! Millie had lots of mucky teeth when she came to us and so I used it . By the time she was spayed six months later, the Vet complimented us on how great her teeth were . I also used it for Sam and now for Nelly too , she loves it ! x

Karen likes this.
  7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I’ve just started this with Axel as his one back molar gets build up easily. He HATES it. Probably doesn’t like the taste of the paste I’m using. I’ll look into a different one and see if that helps. Hope it helps for you!

Karen likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Let's both report back in a couple of weeks - hopefully both with better results!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

My vet said to try and do it 1-2 times A DAY! I am forgetful and we manage 3 or 4 times a week with Logic gel. He has a patch of brown stuff on his back pre-molars on either side, which has never shifted. And staining inside his lower canines. He's clearly not overly keen, but he does put up with it, and comes and sits to the call "Coco, teeth". He LOVES the Logic gel, I gently rub it into the tooth brush and let him lick my finger before brushing. He gets a fish cube after which makes it all worth while.

He gets half a teaspoon of kelp powder a day, which is supposed to keep plaque away....I don't know though.

Karen likes this.
  10. 20180815

20180815 Guest

We do teeth nightly and also use Logic - they go wild for the taste, no problems whatsoever!

11. Kelsey&Axel

Deal! I decided to ditch the brush for now and just use a piece of gauze and rub it on his gums and teeth. He tolerates this much more but still turned off by the taste so I’ve just ordered some Logic Gel. It will be here in a month or so :rolleyes:

snowbunny likes this.
  12. MF

MF Registered Users

I don’t brush Snowie’s teeth. His diet is raw meat and bones and he does not appear to have any plaque buildup. The vet commended his teeth! Since a small puppy his front canines both have darkened stains near the gum.

I am all for being able to touch and investigate your dog’s teeth. I try to do this regularly in the case Snowie might need his teeth examined. He is not keen! And if I try to open his jaws, he instinctively clamps his mouth shut!!

13. Sven

Sven Registered Users

We clean Vanillas 3 times a week. We also use Tropiclean on her everyday as that helps with plaque etc. So far so good.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Mine are fed raw too, but they still seem to get a bit of staining, particularly Poppy, although her teeth are better since they were cleaned and polished when she was spayed.

MF likes this.
  15. Kelsey&Axel

Well, Axel tolerated the toothbrush tonight long enough for me to do a decent job on the one side. Less patience with the second side, but it’s a start! Logic gel is still not here and won’t be for possibly another month o_O but I’ll keep on trying with the paste I have.

How is it going with your two?

selina27 likes this.
  16. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Just a comment on this. I only had Brogan's teeth cleaned at the vet once, when he had to undergo aesthetic for another reason as well. Afterwards, I asked the vet what I could do besides brushing, which (to be honest) I only did a couple times a week plus it didn't seem great at getting off/preventing the plaque build up, especially on his massive back molars.

He told me, "Oh, just take a small metal spoon and scrape it off occasionally."

Huh? Well, I kind of thought he was nuts - wouldn't that harm the tooth? - but sure enough, after a short while the plaque came back so I tried it. The spoon was too big and awkward, but it got the worst of the plaque off.

A few months later, I ran across a street vendor in Germany who sold all sorts of odd metal things, including dental scrapers (you know, the two-ended metal things they use on you during a dental cleaning). I bought one and tried it on Brogan. Bingo! It worked a charm! I would do one side of his mouth at a sitting, only about five minutes a session, every 4-6 weeks and his teeth were clean as a whistle. I scaled his teeth for the last 8 years of his life and his chompers were a bit stained here and there (canines mainly) but plaque-free and with healthy gums up to his passing at age 13.

I know not all dogs would let you work away at their teeth, and Brogan did do a lot of eye-rolling and sighing during the cleanings, but it sure did work well. You don't need a weird German metal salesman either, just look up dental hygiene tools on your local Amazon. :)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

They both LOVE the Logic gel! Neither of them is thrilled about the teeth cleaning, but they are definitely happier now that they actually like the taste of the toothpaste... I even managed to do a quick clean of Poppy's back teeth without too much problem. I do them every couple of days, usually in the evenings when we are chilling in front of the tv...

I had to order the Logic gel from the uk too, though it didn't take long to arrive - but with the postage it was expensive, and at the rate my two wanted to lick it off the toothbrush, I'm going to have to buy in bulk in future!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  18. snowbunny

I buy a few tubes every time I go to the UK. I'm glad your two like it, it's great stuff :)

Karen likes this.
  19. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Mine LOVE the logic gel! I pop a blob on the end of those finger brushes. Benson is hopeless and spends the time trying to suck the gel of my finger and stealing the toothpaste tube! :)

Kelsey&Axel, Karen and snowbunny like this.
  20. snowbunny

I have to keep an eye on the lid or Squidge will sneak it away :D

Kelsey&Axel and Karen like this.