Teething and incisors

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jenny Stewart, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Jenny Stewart

Jenny Stewart Registered Users

Hi All
    New to the forum and have 20 week old black lab pup (Gamma). She is great although we have reached the rebellious teenager and listens to instruction when she feels like it. Training with treats is going well though because as everyone here knows food is a labs best friend.

My main concern is that her baby incisors have not fallen out but the adult ones are coming through. Is this something to be concerned about? In herself she seems to be fine isn’t off her food and is full of energy (and attitude)

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Jenny and Gamma, welcome to the forum!

Persistent deciduous teeth (baby teeth that don't fall out) are a fairly common problem in dogs. It sometimes runs in families.

Gamma ought to see a vet as soon as possible. The baby teeth might need to be extracted, so that the adult teeth can grow into place properly - the later this is left, the more likely it is that the position of the adult teeth will be permanently affected.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

3. Jenny Stewart

Hi Sarah
    She was at the vet last night. We were away on holiday when I posted as I had only noticed how big the adult teeth had got in the previous few days before we went as I had been away. ( I’m the one that continually torments her with fingers in her mouth and ears under the guise of training )
    Anyway one has come out and the other is starting to discolour which the vet says is a good sign and we have to keep an eye on it over next few weeks.
    They were not concerned but she will get another weight check just after new year or even in between so if it’s not out by then they can reassess.
    Hoping it falls out itself I don’t want her to need an operation

4. Jenny Stewart

Hi Sarah
    Pleased to report they have all fallen out now and the gaps are closing in
    She has a 6 month checkup, weigh and worm today so will get it all checked out.
    Given the weight off her when she jumped on my bladder at 7am this morning she is growing nicely