terribly embarrassing male pup question -sorry!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mom2girls1974, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mom2girls1974

Mom2girls1974 Registered Users

Watson is 4 months and 1 week now, most things are great fun around here, teething is going strong. BUT -and I am going to be very Canadian here (forgive me I am blushing threw my screen)...gulp...well there is no way to say it other than to just get it out there -again please forgive me :(

His penis -it is often out there -like WAY out there!!! to the point that other people will point it out!!! I am SO embarrassed, he could be a pony ;) it honestly has made me glad I have human daughters!

Sorry I have to end this now -but I really need to know that he is not the only one, because at his puppy class they act like this is a oddity....surely not?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hehe, don't be embarrassed. Dogs will be dogs, eh? I had to laugh at your pony comment.

Trying to think back to when my boys were younger.... Definitely at times of excitement (like, when interesting and fun things were happening around them) the dreaded 'lipstick' would make an appearance. I'd say maybe about 5cm worth at most. Sounds like Watson might be showing a bit more but I don't think that's unusual. If you get him to pay attention to you and do some little exercises (I mean like sit, drop, nose touch etc) does he put it away again? I find that this used to help.

Other people with boy dogs will chime in I'm sure!

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

No it's not odd some do it more than others. Its shows different levels of excitement, Rorys lipstick is less sticky outy now he's older and a bit more sensible. It can also pop out when some old dogs strain to poop.
    Don't be embarrassed it's just a boy thing. they all do it to some extent you're just part of the lab lipstick club now.

4. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

lol yes I totally understand. My boy often has his out too and I have learned to accept it as something natural. Sounds like maybe Watson is on the larger side ;)

5. Mom2girls1974

Mom2girls1974 Registered Users

lol, indeed I am thinking he is -but he is a big boy all round -4 months 16 kgs (40 pounds more or less). I am trying not to be horrified by it -but will try and get him to do something else ;) Thanks for making it more normal!

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

Oh yea I'd say he is a big boy all around. I guess his penis is growing as fast as the rest of him lol. Don't be horrified by it, it's a natural thing and it's not going to bite you lol. He should get it more under control as he gets older. I've definitely been down the same road you're on with Watson.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

When Snowie sits his penis sometimes sticks out - the angle of how he's sitting pushes it out.

However if you're worried that it won't go back in and he's licking it a lot, then you should see a vet. But if it goes in and out easily, and he's not licking it too much - as if it hurts - then I wouldn't worry. It's completely normal for your dog to lick his penis - all part of normal grooming. But excessive licking could be associated with pain, infection, injury.

8. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ha ha, oh I'm glad we've got a bitch. OH originally wanted a male (he's outnumbered here, our poultry and cats are all girls) but after a while he said "no, I've changed my mind, I couldn't cope with looking at dog cock and balls all the time". So we got a girl. "oh look, her girl penis" says OH (referring to her vulva) :facepalm:

9. SwampDonkey

Small boys point at Rorys balls when I go's passed them. They giggle point and sing big balls big balls . Rory is proud.

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley used to get his lipstick out a lot. I used to just say to him put that away! And he would.

He's 16 months now and he hardly ever gets it out.

All boys are the same - even doggy versions :D

BarbWireBlondie, Karen and MF like this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco has his penis out an awful lot! He's 3 and neutered. It's just one of those things you'll get used to.

12. SwampDonkey

Rory always does it at my best friend he really likes her.she giggles though

13. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

In my experience it changes as they age. Your boy is heading for his teenager phase, so all kinds of things will excite him now, and sometimes there won't seem to be anything exciting, but his lipstick will be out anyway. :p
    It has gotten better as my pups get older, but some definitely "show off" more than others. :)
    And as @MF said - its nothing to be concerned about unless it won't go back in or he won't leave it alone.

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

If your lads penis is out a lot of the time, then it may get a little dry and sore..or they is a some irritation causing his willy to have trouble retracting once out. This happened with my entire boy. It still happens now but infrequently. I just pop a bit of savlon on the the end....not one of my favourite jobs!:eek::confused:

Karen likes this.
  15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanleys got stuck out once and was obviously sore. The vet told me to hold s cold washcloth on it - it was the least glamorous thing I've ever done :rolleyes:

MF, Jazzmynn, QuinnM15 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My poor boy was very worried when he was younger and it popped out and was enormous, wouldn't go back for ages! He looked so worried and upset

17. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Haha me too! We originally went on the list for a boy but there wasn't one available so we settled for Ella ;) but posts like this make me pretty happy we did end up with a bitch!

Although... The slurp that she gets up when she's licking her lady bits (always at 5.30am) could be heard two suburbs over :eek::eek:

MF, Kelsey&Axel and Jazzmynn like this.
  18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Is there a 'put your lipstick away' cue?

:p

MF likes this.
  19. SwampDonkey

Yes put it away Rory.

20. SwampDonkey

its not any worse than a boy dog having some me time with their winkies and keeping you awake

MF likes this.