The biting continues...any tips please...at my wits end

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katrina Johnston, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Do not worry - your dog is NOT AGGRESSIVE. Just search through this forum and you will find loads of posts like yours, mine was one of them and I was made to feel like I had a perfectly normal lab pup with all the advice and support given. I don't know if it is just labs that are like this, we had a GSD but I can't remember this behaviour. Maisy took a chunk out of my stomach when she lunged the other day in one of her episodes, but she is such a gentle soul it is only these bouts when she is like this - it seems aggressive but if they meant to do you harm you would have probably lost a limb by now!
    She is 8 months old today and is still like this a bit, when she is waiting to go somewhere or when she wants something or is bored with waiting for me. If you can predict when the behaviour will start it is easier to calm them by giving them something to do or think about but once it starts - step back! I feel your pain :eek:

Katrina Johnston likes this.
  2. Katrina Johnston

Katrina Johnston Registered Users

Thanks x

One of the trainers in the puppy class said he was aggressive. The trainer in the intermediate class thinks it's frustration and a bit of him trying to control me!

We feed him Arden Grange large breed puppy on recommendation from the vet. He was fed on Beta puppy from being weaned and for the first month we had him. He seems to have quite a sensitive tummy so I'm quite reluctant to change at the moment?

Shaz82 and selina27 like this.
  3. Katrina Johnston

4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

I agree 100% that some trainers need special training in our beloved Labs! The trainer we went to initially although she loved Bailey only ever used him once to show the class how to train something - the comment was "oh he's very high energy and head strong" :rolleyes: - we completed the 6 week course but didn't go back! Our progress may be slow but we are happy with where we are with him :D

Katrina Johnston, Shaz82 and selina27 like this.
  5. Katrina Johnston

Hi everyone,

I had meant to check in a couple of weeks ago to share the good news that Rufus' biting had more or less stopped. I was delighted...however today, out of the blue, I have a crocopup again! He's been so bitey with me today, in the house, out for walks. It's so frustrating! Back to square one. His puppy teeth have more or less gone so the biting isn't quite as painful, but he's so much stronger now at nearly 6 months and 20kg.

I guess from reading your posts that this reoccurrence is normal? Time outs still the way forward in the house? When we were out for a walk and it started today I just made his lead short so he couldn't jump at me (he was jumping and going for my arms) and briskly walked on and within seconds he was fine?!

I look forward to your advice xx

6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Yup time outs/ignoring the behaviour while keeping yourself out of harms way is the answer. Sounds like you have cracked it on the walk. And yes Bailey regressed too around 6 or 7 months old, but it didn't last long x

Katrina Johnston likes this.
  7. Lt.Kippo

Lt.Kippo Registered Users

Brand new! Lasted about a week. Even at 4 months I'm seeing it get better. Just hang in there. The advice your getting is excellent. It just takes time. ^_^
    [​IMG]

Katrina Johnston and edzbird like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Definitely a common occurrence. I've not had Labs and do think (from being on this forum) that they are a little different, but the cheeky teenager stage does start around 6-10 months with large breed dogs in general and can mean going back to square one (as you say yourself) for a bit. It's frustrating, but keep hope alive - and some forum members have also recommended keeping a stash of your favorite alcohol on hand as well. ;)

Katrina Johnston and selina27 like this.