The biting game

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SteffiS, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

We're beginning to see the benefits of the advice given and Ripple's biting is getting more bearable. However we're still having a problem over the sofa; we've never allowed him on the sofa but he has continually climbed onto it, normally we lift him off and say 'off' and reward him for staying off. But now he has started snapping and biting whenever we try to lift him off the sofa and we're not sure the best way to approach this. Also he started doing this when we were visiting friends last weekend with their furniture, which didn't make him very popular!
    What would be the best way for us to deal with this before it gets completely out of hand?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

my pup was a terrible bitey monster too,we had all the things going on that you describe. I thought it would never end, but it did it was just a matter of keeping going and doing the things you have been doing. When got on the sofa and wouldn't come off rather than trying to get him off I would go and steal his fav toy or bone(pretend to eat it) or something he really liked or stroke one of the other dogs and ignore him. He could have the sofa its boring I'd got his toys ha.
    He hates that and some how the sofa(he seems to be teasing you with the sofa) was suddenly not so important. I've found that using his own nature against him works well he loves attention and cuddles so to get them he has to not bite and do as I ask. He actually learned to think if I do that she does this and I don't like it. It does help calm him down because I can see him thinking how do I get a cuddle or a good boy. He used to get so excited usually when he was tired and very bitey now we have a little game I ease him to a lyng position and then gently stoke his belly and head and he goes to sleep or just relaxes. It just seems often to be over excitment and tiredness. I had to teach him to relax its hard they don't want too.
    You sound like youre doing a great job with ripple it will get better he's a lucky boy . It just takes time some pups are just extra bitey. you are not alone we all have bitten arms and ripped clothes.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Could it be that he doesn't like being picked up and that's what he's reacting to? In either event, physically lifting him off the sofa yourself won't train him not to go on it. You need to teach him a cue that he can follow himself - so "off" where he jumps down himself, or "on your bed/mat", which isn't compatible with him being on the sofa. You'd train these with the normal methods - using a lure the first few times, then gradually fading that and just using the visual gesture, until you can assign a verbal cue.

When he's settled in his bed, you can randomly treat him for being in there, so it's a rewarding place for him to be.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze and Twiglet have a complicated system of sofa/chair allowedness! Tatze is allowed on one chair in the kitchen/dining/living space and one sofa in he lounge (mine). Twiglet is allowed on no furniture. We use treats for 'off' (say 'off' as you throw a treat down) and treats for staying off. Gypsy had this same regime and it took her until she was about 7 months to learn it. We simply never, ever let her on and if she jumped on called her straight off.

Twiglet has nearly got it already (13 weeks) she's a bright button!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I loved that vid of Twiglet mouthing your hand Mags....on your tummy on the sofa....:):):)

Twiglet is a true forum labrador if she has negotiated being on a human on the sofa doesn't count!

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Exactly! But she'll soon be too big, waaaaaaaaaaah!! I shall then join her on her bed :)