The cone of shame...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Sharon66

Sharon66 Registered Users

Re: The cone of shame...

Dug - golden retriever a fat one lol!
    Great post , i spent ages. Working out how exactl to get vets plastic cone on my girl as she is quite expert at removing stitches! She took them all out after her spay op! Luckily it had healed! But recently, after spending an age putting this thing on her only for her to run thro the door way 5 mins later and she split it by hitting door post it ended up in 3 peices in seconds! Dozy dog! And she still removed stitches wearing a floppy cone and a blow up collar together!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I am quite literally dying thinking of a dog taking out its stitches.....oh my goodness! :eek: thank goodness we managed,they are really quite brutal to themselves given the chance :(

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze had her spay on Monday. I bought a comfy cone, which Tatze practiced with for half an hour a day.

It was great.

BUT

She insisted on going in her crate (we had intended to have her on an old duvet for comfort) and the comfy cone was too big for her to turn round in the crate. So she's had the vets plastic cone at night, but no cone in the day unless we leave her for a while. She hasn't touched the stitches once - and they come out on Thursday - hurrah!

(Amazon were great and I returned the comfy cone no probs)

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Bet you can't wait :) I've recently had a bitch spayed via laprascope, and it was great not to have to deal with cones.

5. Pennys mom

Pennys mom Registered Users

Thank you this was really useful. I also hate the plastic cone and always wind up removing it too soon. Thankfully haven't needed it lately, but good to know for future reference.

6. Annabellam

Annabellam Registered Users

Thank you for sharing. This is very important. The last time my Sammy had a surgery i went through hell trying to get a proper cone. Getting him to be comfortable in it was also a big issue. Good tips there on giving treats or rewarding calmness in a cone.

7. Chantalkbl

Chantalkbl Registered Users

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for!

8. Trboy

Trboy Registered Users

We are using a vet recommend t shirt like a onesee and it really works great

9. Lippy

Lippy Registered Users

Misty is getting spayed today and I bought a surgical suit its just like a babygro . It's made of lycra and really soft. Will post the outcome when used. Can't work out the picture bit sorry. It's a dog recovery suit from Amazon it was a little over £18 but hoping its worth it. It has to be more comfortable than a cone

10. FinnOfSoCal

FinnOfSoCal Registered Users

Another vote here for the Comfy Cone!

I got the vet issue plastic cone after Finn's neuter, and I HATED it. He just smashed into things and it created so much racket that I was about to have a nervous breakdown.

Recently Finn got some cuts on his face and kept scratching off the scabs making them worse. I had to go back to the cone for a week, and tried the Comfy Cone. It doesn't make that awful crashing sound and it seems much more comfortable. Plus, it helped his face heal!

The way I get him to put it on is to just give him a treat through the cone if he puts his head through it. He's SO food motivated I think he would walk on lava for a treat, so your mileage may vary. Now when I pick up the cone to put it on he trots over happily because he knows he's getting a treat.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. Charles L Bloss Jr

Charles L Bloss Jr Registered Users

Ranger just had a fatty cyst removed from his right lower lip. I was totally against any cones. So he did not have to wear one. When he was healing the wound itched, and he tried to scratch it. I stopped him each time I saw him do it, and I watched him carefully. He had to have the staples removed twice, because one part had not healed yet. He is over it all now, and without those horrible cones. We live on 8.6 acres, so no leashes except when he goes to the vet. No collar because he doesn't like them, but he is micro chipped. I hate seeing animals restrained, I love them running free, sniffing, playing, etc. Ranger and all three cats get along together very well, and they love each other and us. We are a cone less household.

12. J.D

J.D Registered Users

You cannot watch a dog 24/7 I would say you were very lucky.
    What is wrong with a cone to protect them from further damage. A dog can do a huge amount of harm/undoing with a back paw(if you have ever got your hand in the way of a scratch you know how powerful it can be)
    Toby wore a buster cone for two weeks after his ear removal.However we always removed it whilst he was out walking(on a lead as per the vet’s instructions) so he had time off and when he was sitting with me in the evening.
    It is against the law in the Uk to have a dog off the lead without an I.D tag attached to a collar or harness.

13. lauramcmann1221

lauramcmann1221 Registered Users

re: The cone of shame...

Very useful Julie.:pull:

14. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

While cones are useful for something like poor Toby's ear, for a spay, or any other issue on the body, I really like the medical pet vests.

15. Tarwheel

Tarwheel Registered Users

Our puppy is using a soft fabric cone following surgery for spaying. She actually seems to like wearing it and comes right up to me and puts her head through the opening when we have to reattach it. (We remove it when going for walks or outside to potty.) The weather has been cool here lately and perhaps it helps keep her warmer.