The dog has trained me

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MacushlaLabrador, Feb 5, 2022.

1. MacushlaLabrador

MacushlaLabrador Registered Users

I think Macushla has me trained. She sleeps through the night from 8:30PM until 6:30AM - 10 hours.

She is fed at 7, noon and 5.

I take her out to pee and poop after eating and then every two hours throughout the day. When she pees and poops, I give her a treat.

It is the every two hours that I think she has me trained to do.

If I miss the 2 hour mark by 10 minutes she pees on the floor. Every time. I know she can go 10 hours at night.

2. MacushlaLabrador

Sorry, she is a 3-month-old lab. We have had her for 6 weeks and have been doing this housebreaking routine since then.

3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Stick to it. Metabolism is faster during the day than the night (same with us humans).

4. MacushlaLabrador

Thank you. Do you think I should continue to give her treats each time? Puppy Class starts on Thursday. Hurray!

5. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Of course!
    What sort of puppy class is it? I'd avoid any that involve the puppies being let loose together. Other than the risk of them getting scared, it does seem to encourage puppies to run up to every dog they meet to play which makes your later recall training challenging. Keeping her focused on you around the other puppies is the real work. Good luck x

6. MacushlaLabrador

"Puppy Training (10 weeks to 5 months old) A 6-week introductory class that teaches you how to communicate with your puppy & focuses on basic skills like "come when called" & loose-leash walking. Also addresses socialization & preventing common problem behaviors." It was recommended by my vet that I enrol her in a Puppy Class for socialization.