The pupmobile

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So there was a delay on the pupmobile - but all sorted now.

The dog walker is coming tomorrow, first thing, and we're going to work on getting Charlie in and out without him hurting himself or us. The longer term plan is a ramp, but that's still work in progress (Charlie tries to leap up the ramp in one bound, and thinks he should get an extra treat for doing it one shot ::) ). We won't be able to walk far when we get to the woods - we plan on having to stand still for at least 15 minutes while he calms down, but it'll be a start towards walking nicely on lead somewhere super exciting.

Following on from the discussions about Heidrun's accident, we decided to fit out the car to be a proper pupmobile. The car is a Volvo V70, and the crate is a double large crate from safedog (they are both made in the same town in Sweden, apparently, according to safedog). The people at safedog are also absolutely lovely, putting the crate together and fitting it for me free of charge and telling me all about how their lovely dog, Beau, recovered from his cruciate ligament op. :) :) :)

Perfect fit. One of the reasons we decided on this car and this crate is because the crate matches the crumple zones of this car (apparently, I hope I never find out whether that's true:(

[​IMG]
    Outside crate by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

Here is the inside - it looks big on the photo, but I wouldn't want it any smaller really. The crate extends (that is, it can be made longer or shorter). The volvo is long enough to have it fully extended. There is a divider that I can put in the middle (not installed) so two dogs can have a side each. Might come in handy.... :) :) :)

[​IMG]
    inside crate by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

There is an escape hatch at the front. You can drop the rear seats, and get the dog out from the other end.

The crate straps to the standard Volvo cargo rails, two at the front and two at the back. You'd think this crate had been made for the car, really....maybe it has.

[​IMG]
    straps to cargo strong points 2 by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    straps to cargo strong points by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: The pupmobile

Long may you and Charlie (and Lyra / Clara) motor in safety without ever finding out just how good all those features really are...
    Looks fabulous :D
    Clare

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Is it really as colour coordinated as it looks? Fabulous!!!

Have you got a ramp? If not I can dig out the name of a manufacturer that I took off someone at class :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, the crate is close in colour to the car.

I have got a ramp, but it's not great quality - and it's narrow, which doesn't help in convincing Charlie to walk up and down it rather than jump off or along the side. So recommendations would be good, thanks.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3952.msg45641#msg45641 date=1389288572]
    Is it really as colour coordinated as it looks? Fabulous!!!

[/quote]

Oh Barbara my thoughts exactly!and in my favourite colour too .....it looks brilliant Julie,I really hope it's cheered you up after a down in the dumps couple of weeks x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It has cheered me up - I know that it'll be a bit painful getting Charlie to walk on lead in places where he used to be off lead (even though we did loads of lead training there, that was when we could run to get rid of all the excess energy), at first I'll have help to deal with off lead dogs. But then, once we're sorted, it will be so much more uplifting to walk through the woods, even just on lead, than round the same old streets.

7. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

Brilliant looking piece of kit, very secure

8. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That looks really good, Julie. :D

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Looks fabulous!!! The start of many adventures for Team Charlie!! :)

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wow, fantastic!

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Really brilliant - what a great set up. A crate like that is the way to go...

We, too, are getting a new car for safer dog travel, promoted by Heidrun's accident. Though it won't take a crate it does have a back seat so at least Obi can be strapped in properly. The trouble is, it is really difficult to find a dog seatbelt that has passed independent crash testing, is not desperately uncomfortable for the dog to wear and is not diabolically difficult to attach to anchor points in the car. We have just ordered our third expensive harness (this one from Germany) have rejected the first two on at least one of the above grounds.

A crate is the only safe and comfortable way to carry your dog.

Many happy voyages to the Pupmobile and all who sail in her! :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Rachael - we can't wait to get out and about!

I know about the harness - I am also struggling with a German seat belt harness, but in my case getting Charlie to wear it. On the basis we'd like a boot in one car, Charlie is to wear a harness in the back seat of OH's car. It's not going well...

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

A boot in your car? How unreasonable!!

I met a lady in the supermarket car park who was busy putting her shopping in her dog crate ;D

I'm going to get a single box so that I can pack around it on long journeys

14. Oberon

The harness we are waiting on is the Allsafe by Klein Metal.

Obi is cool as a cucumber with his walking harness, but he just hates these bulky, restrictive car harnesses... Seems that if you don't want your dog hurtling through the windscreen you need to encase them in enough strength-tested nylon to restrain an elephant....

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Julie, with regards the ramp.....
    I'm thinking about the see-saw in agility here. Dogs first attempt they dash up it, crash over the fulcrum, drop like a stone, fall off, avoid it for a month after.......no, really, shouldn't let that happen.
    We were shown how to do it on lead, treat by nose, one step at a time - with one person either side. Ramp isn't so steep. I would imagine if you could practice it with the ramp on the floor, then raised a little on a brick, working up to a sofa ( ;D ) then on the back of the car (perhaps if you could keep the crate closed until the last moment....
    Is that any help??

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3952.msg45763#msg45763 date=1389310771]
    Julie, with regards the ramp.....
    I'm thinking about the see-saw in agility here. Dogs first attempt they dash up it, crash over the fulcrum, drop like a stone, fall off, avoid it for a month after.......no, really, shouldn't let that happen.
    We were shown how to do it on lead, treat by nose, one step at a time - with one person either side. Ramp isn't so steep. I would imagine if you could practice it with the ramp on the floor, then raised a little on a brick, working up to a sofa ( ;D ) then on the back of the car (perhaps if you could keep the crate closed until the last moment....
    Is that any help??
    [/quote]

Yes, really helpful! Was just thinking maybe start with it flat. Thanks so much! Can feel a video coming on...

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3952.msg45717#msg45717 date=1389301146]
    The harness we are waiting on is the Allsafe by Klein Metal.

Obi is cool as a cucumber with his walking harness, but he just hates these bulky, restrictive car harnesses... Seems that if you don't want your dog hurtling through the windscreen you need to encase them in enough strength-tested nylon to restrain an elephant....
    [/quote]

Yes, the one I'm working with has thick rubber straps across Charlie's chest. ::). And he is far from being as cool as a cucumber with the lightest of harnesses. ::) It's impossible, I think.

I'll check out the Allsafe one.

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

My problem is not so much the harness (I don't think) but the fact that Simba will chew the seat belts it's attached to. No hope of wearing a harness here for that reason. We have a barrier for the back of the van, which will have to do. Not ideal, but better than him hurtling through the vehicle in a collision.

19. Oberon

The Allsafe one is pretty chunky....

Working with Jac's agility idea..... What a lot of people do to train the ramp or see saw in agility is teach the dog to touch certain points on the ramp, to prevent them from leaping off early. You could paint or use coloured tape to identify set points along the ramp that Charlie has to touch with a paw (or his nose) before proceeding. You might just need a couple of points. As Jac says, practise with the ramp flat on the ground first, and gradually elevate it.

20. hd

hd Registered Users

Wow. That looks a rather fabulous set up! Hope it's a good drive.