The pupmobile

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: The pupmobile

I could do with one of those crates for my two. Looks grate.

Happy doggy motoring ;D

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks for the tips re ramp all - off to have a go.

[quote author=hd link=topic=3952.msg45788#msg45788 date=1389339770]
    Hope it's a good drive.
    [/quote]

It's somewhat shed like to drive - sorry to all Volvo fans (my Dad is a big Volvo fan and loves it). I sold my tiny city car to afford it - the city car was as cheap as chips, but I could park it in the smallest of gaps, and it was super nippy.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Julie I learnt to drive in a Volvo estate they are great although I could see why not overly convenient in the city.

My sister has the unenviable reputation of being one of the few to have completely written off a Volvo estate. She skidded around a bend and ended up on top of a wall writing off two cars on the other side. Thankfully only the cars and the wall damaged she was fine. That's how much impact one of those 'sheds' can take. ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm not moaning, it's a good car, and i'm thrilled to have Charlie's wheels sorted. It's quite a safe car - it's highest score in the euro NCAP tests was 88% (which doesn't place it near the top 10 safest cars these days but still 5 star). It makes a great pupmobile, the boot is fantastic.

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Hhmmmm cannot remember where I put that ramp manufacturer name but I will keep looking and if I see the chap at training again I'll ask him...... :-\ sorry!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I love the new pupmobile :) I'm changing my car over the next few months due to practicality of having a dog. You have swayed my decision in having a proper cage installed, thanks ;)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, work commitments stopped me getting up to the common with him (I want a lot of time available, because I don't want to ruin my lovely lead walking by rushing it).

So we've just tried it out. The ramp was really rubbish, too short. So we ditched that idea until we can find something more suitable.

Plan B is a small alumium work bench (that folds up). We covered it with non slip mats, and lifted Charlie onto it outside the back of the car. He then hopped into the crate good as gold. A few bits of cheese got him out and back on the bench, then we lifted him down. Great. It's easier with two people though. It'll do as a stop gap until we get the ramp sorted.

Here he is... :) :) :) (looking sulky because he has both a harness and his 12in lead on the harness. For grabbing purposes in case he decided to hop down off the bench on his own).

[​IMG]
    Charlie tries out the pupmobile by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

He didn't fuss at all really, but also didn't relax enough to eat his frozen kong (bet he would if it had been a chicken kong though ::)), so we didn't start the car. Which might be fussing, but it's so important he is totally cool with the arrangement, we thought that we'll have a few more getting used to it sessions over the weekend. He hasn't spent very long in crates.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Much better to go carefully, have no problems and think you could have gone faster than have to sort out issues created by rushing him :)

I googled ramps to see if I could recognise the manufacturer name I had( no such luck) but there was a great variety!

10. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Sulking Labrador Face! ;D

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw, Charlie's in gaol :)

Def better to go slowly.

Bummer that the ramp was too short....

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Could you use the ramp to go up to the aluminium work bench? Or is that almost as high as the car? I suppose it must be or you wouldn't be keen on him hopping in from it.
    Hmm....just a thought....

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The work bench is just a few cms lower than the car - with a rubber mat over the slippery bumper. I'm keeping homebase in business, buying their rubber mats. ::)

The ramp wasn't a success. I got him trotting over it fine flat, but he wasn't keen as soon as we put a slope in it. (Anyway, it was too short for the car, with an impractical steep slope). I actually started wondering whether it was painful for him to walk up the ramp on a slope. He is a very happy and enthusiastic dog - I normally wouldn't have a problem training something that involved movement (our challenge is staying still).

The work bench solves the problem of reaching in to the crate to lift his back end. He doesn't like us "looming" over him in a confined space. I don't think this is unusual - I think a lot of dogs don't like this. The only car it's not a problem in is the defender, because the platform is at human waist height, so no looming necessary.

Ho hum. Anyway, work bench a stop gap, and workable for now.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ya, steps!! That might work?

Poor Charlie, he really does look grumpy. Soon he'll understand that the Volvo is the Gateway to Paradise and he'll be happy as a clam in it.....hopefully!

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You can't help chuckling at that face can you,he's unlucky having the injury in the first place but he's such a lucky boy that he's got you and your Hubby taking such care of him.....you'd think he could look a bit grateful wouldn't you!!
    Dexter doesn't like being loomed over when he's in his room and people ( especially tall men) lean over the gate to see him...and even sometimes when I pat him when I'm standing over him ,he'll duck away so I think it's normal too Julie,why would you enjoy that?
    When does the date get set for his op?
    X

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3952.msg46246#msg46246 date=1389496015]
    What about a set of portable steps, like caravan steps? e.g. http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/Caravan-Step-Strong-Light-Weight-Aluminium-Double-Step
    [/quote]

That's a good idea, it might work - I'll have a look and measure them, it would be a long term solution. Not sure about using steps after the op - the surgeon said the 3 steps to the garden, they are shallow and broad, would be ok but avoid anything too steep.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3952.msg46269#msg46269 date=1389510060]
    Dexter doesn't like being loomed over when he's in his room and people ( especially tall men) lean over the gate to see him...and even sometimes when I pat him when I'm standing over him ,he'll duck away so I think it's normal too Julie,why would you enjoy that?
    [/quote]

Yes, I think it's normal - lots of dogs don't like it. The city car was impossible to lift Charlie out. It was so small and he hated the way we had to bend over him.

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3952.msg46269#msg46269 date=1389510060]
    When does the date get set for his op?
    [/quote]

It's the 24th Feb. Gosh, I bet you all can't wait! Or maybe not - you've all supported us this far but we'll probably be a nightmare when we are actually recovering! We'll try not to be too bad!

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aww....Julie.
    We will all be here.
    Might not be as bad as you are anticipating. That's what I am hoping for you all.

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We are a third of the way through January so time is passing but not so quickly that you won't have plenty of time to practice his calmness and train ramp skills......you won't be a nightmare at all and we'll all be worried about him ( and you :) ) too x