The Summer is upon us!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, May 23, 2014.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: The Summer is upon us!

Haven't peeked in here for awhile...looking really good, Angela! Dexter is making great strides. Puts me to shame....honestly I just don't know where this summer is going but it's certainly not going towards dog training! :-\

Oh well. The pooch has got out for several a OFF LEAD walks now, so I consider that a small success, at any rate! :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Lisa,as long as you are having a lovely Summer and everyone is well and ok that is the main thing.Sounds like you are enjoying some nice walks with Simba x
    Ha ha ha ha Jacqui,yes, and there's a story to that fridge.....at the beginning of the year we were getting stocked up for the visitor run Feb/ March there was an offer on if you spent a certain amount you got a free fridge!it was quite a lot to spend and it felt really over the top but Chris was very focused on the free fridge!
    Thankfully we are not too embarassing and still have plenty left as we enter August ::) I hate where the fridge is though....but it's the only tucked away place we have!
    Julie,I was remembering the video you did in the broom cupboard and was thinking about wedging us in the downstairs toilet....it's more broom cupboard than toilet!i also tightened up on our walk this morning...and made him sit right by my leg...this involved a little bit of bum scuttling a bit like he does when he's backing up to his hoop and a slightly puzzled look which seemed to imply,'what?2 feet away and a gozzy angle is usually good enough ;D'
    He seems quite happy with the hexabumper ...while I was outside emptying the bins he ran upstairs and had a sniff round Chris's open case and of all the things he could have picked up and stolen he grabbed the large hexabumper.....he did a couple of fetches for me but the string intrigued him and was a bit distracting as well as the plastic price tag ::) but the signs seem good!might be a slack day today with Chris newly back but we'll pick it up again tomorrow.
    thanks everyone for the advice and observations.....even Rachael,you are too kind,because that outfit was awful ;D

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If it was the pinky/red short skirt, then I think you looked pretty nifty ;D

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I am sure you could be wearing a poly bag and still look elegant Angela, but looked lovely to me too!

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Next piece of agility equipment....The Tunnel....

Hmmm all was going swimmingly last weekend....he was making it all the way through the 5 m skirt that is attached to the tunnel and I thought we would be ready to give it a go in the back garden.....However,skirt and tunnel are attached by Velcro and on the final run,the Velcro had come loose and he got lost in the middle looking like he was having a fight in a paperbag!! :eek: ;D
    The result of this was he was scared :'( ....and wouldn't go near it :-[ that was Saturday....we have built up really gradually again ( I have secured everything as much as I can with extra tape,string and gym weights)and with the help of sardines ( yep,you read it right,he's had sardines!) we've got back up to this....which is about 3 m ( note I'm not accepting sloppy heel positions now Stacia ;D ) space is a bit tight too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14842269475/

This was his enthusiasm level until he realised sardines were involved

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

'Fetch' is also going well with the new hexabumper...he didn't get on with it at first ,it's the 2" I'm using....the 3" looks massive ...it was very noticeably heavier to the canvas pet shop dummy I was using and that made a difference to him.also,it gets quite a lot of slobber on it and he was getting distracted and stopping on the pickup to lick the slobber off ::)....I've just tried him running down my small corridor but say out of 5 fetches,I'm getting 2 returned like a cigar ::) so we stopped and I held it with one hand and did c&t when he grasped it in the middle...I'm going back to that for a day or so....his hold doesn't not matter one bit but if I'm going to get him returning a dummy I'll do my best to get him to do it properly.....

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely heel and excellent tunnelling!! Obi is envious of Dexter's tunnel :) Good recovery from the 'The Agility Equipment Is Trying To Digest Me' incident.

Licking ones own slobber off a dummy.....goodness me, Dexter :eek: