Therapy Dogs in the community

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by Wrightlabs, May 24, 2020.

1. Wrightlabs

Wrightlabs Registered Users

Sophie has been a Therapy Dog for 2 years. She is certified through the St John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program. She is also certified through SJA to sit with children in the "Paws 4 Stories" program.
    She passed her certification when she was 6 years old.
    Most dogs do well in the Therapy Dog Program when they're older. Some just aren't ready at an earlier age; should not be rushed into it; all dogs are different.
    It's all about good temperament - whether they have or they don't.

My other dog Molly (Golden Retriever) was certified at 3 1/2 years. I could have gotten her into Therapy work earlier, but was working full time. She had the right temperament right from when she was born. She is also certified to sit with children in the SJA "Paws 4 Stories" program.

Having 2 dogs is so beneficial as I can switch between the 2 so one doesn't get over tired. Therapy work for the dogs is very tiring at 2 hr visits.

They both visit long term care facilities, hospitals, elementary schools and libraries.
    My Golden Molly did the LASI Program (Less Airport Stress Initiative) out at YVR when we lived in the Vancouver area.

Since Covid-19 hit here March 18th, the girls haven't been unable to visit and they sure miss the interaction with people.

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

That sounds like such a wonderful thing to do with your dogs! I bet you can't wait to get back to it when things open up again :)

3. Wrightlabs

Wrightlabs Registered Users

It'll be so nice to visit the seniors and kids in September. Unfortunately, it'll be some time until we are given the okay to visit the seniors in LTC facilities.
    They and the dogs miss the interactions they had before Covid-19.