There are some horrid people out there...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Beanwood, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We took the gang for a gorgeous walk today, across to Usk, and onto one of my favourite walks. Met some lovely people, friendly as always. Casper walked calmly as we were approached by a cyclist. Even when we passed a dogless couple, the woman evidently frightened of dogs, they all behaved impeccably, walking nicely and quietly by our side.
    Then towards the end it went a bit wrong. An older couple coming towards us, with a spaniel. Before we could stop Casper, he raced up to say hello. He didn't bark....but yelped in pain as the man hit him! He then started shouting, trying to hit Casper again..hunting around the ground for something to hit him with.
    He said that Casper had their dog by the throat and had bit it. Rubbish I said, now I was angry. Yes Casper ran up and I apologised..but not barking, or doing anything that could be remotely construed as aggressive. Casper did start barking at this point, clearly reacting to the mans abusive outburst. We got Casper back to us quickly. Myself and OH were still fairly calm at this point, I apologised again for Casper running up them explaining explaining he is friendly and just like to say hello..he was still shouting at us as he walked past..he was though, looking around at the ground, Benson was quite close to him, and started to trot towards the man (Benson had been behind us the whole time )...at that point the man got his hand on a large branch..I realised to my horror.. what he was going to do...horrified I tried to run towards him yelling..."don't you dare hit my dog!" He actually raised the branch to hit Benson, Casper, at that point did race towards the man, barking. OH got there, and quietly said something like "you are not hitting my dogs" I have never seen him angry like this. OH is a tall man, but if I had been on my own, I think he would have hit Benson.
    I have never come across such a nasty human being. I know something though, Casper knew his type, and also I believe knew before we did that he was going to hit Benson. I don't think it's dogs Casper barks at...it's people..absolutely horrid experience. Benson was fine, thank God he wasn't hit. he is such a goofy, friendly dog, probably thought the guy was going to throw something for him. We are both really shocked by the experience. Luckily they are rare...

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Good god! Awful!

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    That's awful.
    There are indeed some horrid people out there.
    So sorry that you had all that sh*t.
    Hope you are all okay

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so sorry, what a very upsetting experience you have had. The problem is with the man, nothing your dogs did wrong, maybe he was a bit mentally disturbed, thank heaven OH was with you. It does leave you very unsettled though and spoils a very lovely walk. I am glad we are here for you to unload onto, as it is distressing keeping it all locked up inside.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

That's horrible. :( I hope Casper is ok and you never run into these jerks again.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's absolutely disgusting :mad:. Well done to you and Marcus for being do restrained with the guy!
    I'm glad you are all ok.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, Kate, I'm so sorry, that's awful :(

8. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

There are some awful people around. Thankfully few and far between but it still shakes you up when you come across them. Glad you are all OK.

9. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

What a horrible experience:( So glad you were not alone when this happened

10. Beanwood

Thank you..we were shaken up at the time, completely shocked at the mans outburst. I am also relieved that @Bensons-dad didn't deck him...he came closer than I have ever seen in over 15 years! :eek:

These people are rare though....Thank God! :)

Granca, Naya and Stacia like this.
  11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

12. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thank goodness you and your doggies were all ok. What a horrible man.

13. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

When it is a person who has a dog of their own it's just incomprehensible how some of them act. So glad this turned out with none of yours, or his, or people, being hurt.

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That's so nasty. Glad you're all ok.

15. Beanwood

Yes, absolutely. I am glad we both kept calm...and didn't stoop to his level. He did act out a bit, which is retrospect was very odd. Strange to say that Casper had their dog by the throat, when quite clearly this didn't happen. No one was hurt, the dogs I don't think are affected, Casper will be kept quiet for a couple of days as sometimes this sort of stress can take a couple of days to level out. :)

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a hideous man! So sorry you had to experience this. I hope you never see them again.

17. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Crikey...how awful. What a nasty man. I am sure there must be a criminal offence there if he had hit them unprovoked....take care and hope you all forget about him soon. Emma.

18. PawPrints

PawPrints Registered Users

So sad that you get a reaction like that while out walking and you and your dogs had to deal with the mean actions of a crabby old man. I'm glad your dogs were not hurt and hope that you cont have to cross paths with him again

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good grief, I am shocked. I hope you are all OK after such a horrid experience. Good for you both keeping your calm, not sure I could have. Thankfully, I think "people" like him are rare.

Hugs to you all xx

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So sorry Kate for your terrible experience. Thank God you are all alright. Hugs xx