This gundog lark...

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: This gundog lark...

Absolutely fantastic!Glad it's been a success....you had a good feeling from your phone chat......you both sound like you loved it....ill use your post to help me out when I give it a go!! X

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie that sounds amazing and how well did Charlie do - A M A Z I N G L Y. So glad you have found such a great trainer which is so important and now you have the bug too ;) Very well done. Helen xxxxx

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

that sounded brilliant! glad you both enjoyed....its really good fun huh...

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=debsie link=topic=2459.msg24410#msg24410 date=1378397181]
    ...its really good fun huh...
    [/quote]

Yeah, really good fun...Charlie was so happy, obviously having a ball, which made me really happy too. :) :) :) hard not to smile when this little puppy so desperately wants to go find it, then finds it! Sometimes the simple things are the best.

Was interesting - Charlie didn't spit out the dummies. He spits out tennis balls, unless rabbit skin is involved, all the time (because OH gives him kibble for dropping them on his boot). He wasn't keen on giving the dummies back (which the trainer said he wasn't bothered about right now).

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Did the trainer eat his (unspoken) words about chocolate labs not being retrievers???

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Soooo lovely to read about people enjoying themselves with gundog training. And great to hear about trainers that are happy to accommodate pet dogs (and more positive training methods)

Hope you will keep us updated with your progress! (don't worry about not wanting to give the dummy back, that can be fixed :) )

Pippa

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Lots of pet dogs in our class too(I include us in that)...never seen such variety of shapes and sizes at a gundog class ;D

A lovely labradoodle as well as several Heinz dogs and I met my first curly coated retriever!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, I’m thrilled to find a good trainer – I’ll try to hang on to him!

I’m not sure Charlie convinced him we’ll see a Chocolate Field Trial Champ anytime soon! ;D ;D ;D

But regardless of retrieving or working ability, I think chocolates make great pets – and being a good pet is Charlie’s day job. When OH comes in from the office, Charlie’s job is to be there, waggy tailed, up for a game or a cuddle, whatever is needed. Charlie does his day job just brilliantly! We'll have a little go at the gundog stuff though...

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi just catching up with how you got on with your trainer Julie. Sounds like it went brilliantly well done Charlie. I bet the trainer was impressed by what he could do :D

And Barbara I was just reading what you posted this morning about mixing up the retrieves and things with Riley. Thank you it's just what I need to do with my two. They get destracted by smells etc especially at the moment there's a hedgehog visiting at night. I'll give them some more exciting retrieves tomorrow.

This gundog lark hard work but lots of fun. ;D

Jen

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That sounds really great.
    Glad you have found the right person!
    Well done!! 8)

11. Jen

Jen Registered Users

P.S

I was just thinking Julie about what you wrote about not letting Charlie go for the retrieve until you send him. I do both, traditional pet dog retrieve and gundog.

I have them sat either side of me then if I'm doing a gundog retreive I will say Scott steady . He then knows to wait to be sent for the retrieve. Scout will stay sat until his turn. If pet dog retrieve I will just throw ball they only go for their own.

I know it's not the gundog way but my dogs are pets as well and if they are playing with my cousins' dogs I didnt think it fair they had to wait to be sent while the others raced off.

Obviously you have to train both ways but just thought I'd let you know it can be done adds to the fun !

Jen

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Jen - hugely useful comment, thank you. Charlie is a pet first, and if OH needs to bounce around on a beach with him at the weekend, throwing balls left, right and centre, that's going to happen, and there is no way a bit of dabbling in gundog stuff is getting in the way of Charlie's work as a pet. It's encouraging to hear both might be possible though...

13. debsie

debsie Registered Users

great post Jen. my two are first and foremost pets too. they love gundoggery but they also love playing with their dog mates in the park....balls get thrown everywhere and they both just charge about having a blast, but they know that their gundoggy stuff is different and they behave differently when the dummy comes out. super focus and much wagging too but they just know its different rules....

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm SO glad to hear that you and Charlie had a great time, Julie ;D The trainer sounds like a real find :)

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We do the same - tennis balls and the safestix are toys and can be chucked around and bounded after. Dummies are work tools, and NEVER played with. This is a compromise, so the OH and my children and stepchildren can play with Poppy, and I can continue with her training. i know it's anathema to true gun dog trainers, and it's what I meant in an earlier post about asking a lot of our pet dogs! However, it works for us - Pops seems to differentiate between toys and dummies with no problem, and it has meant much more harmony on the home front since I haven't constantly been on everyone's case about the 'correct' way to play with her! :D

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm going to have to do similar. Was a bit stumped this morning, when we went for our morning beach walk and Charlie said "where's my rolling rattle ball? My safestix? My bouncy ball? My football? Come on, come on..." Bouncing round like zebeedee. So I threw and played with them as normal, only with a lot more "sit" whistle, and longer periods of walking at heel and other stuff so he didn't get so many fetches.

Off to order dummies and stuff, and do our first proper steadiness thing exercise...after letting him run like mad after stuff on the beach. ::) I'll just have to find a middle way.

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Julie

The way I went from normal fetch to a gundog retrieve was to hold their collar and I used the word steady while I threw the ball. Obviously the first few times they tried to go straight away. I kept hold repeating steady. Once they where sat properly again I told them find and let go. After a few sessions I then went to only needing to place my hand on their neck/back of head no pressure. Occasionally we would have to go back to collar holding if enthusiasm very high.

I also used the word mark when the ball/ dummy was in the air and landing so they learn to watch the object they are to retrieve and where it lands. Just in case it's ever a shot pheasant ! !

Don't know if that's the right way or if it helps but it worked with mine.

Jen

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen, it's so helpful to hear how you've done it - particularly as yours are pets too.

I held his collar yesterday, but I hated it because he fought me like mad to get away and chase - I ended up with my arms around him. This isn't an option for me to continue like this as I'm too scared of hurting Charlie (trainer rolled his eyes at my panic that Charlie might hurt his neck). So I'm now working on being able to drop a dummy and keep Charlie in a sit. I will add a cue, like you do, so that will be absent when Charlie is playing with OH.

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Julie
    I know it's hard to believe but you can't hurt your dog. You aren't physically strong enough to hurt him by holding his collar or scruff. When my two had their 12 month injection I asked the vet if I could hurt them by getting hold of their scruff. It was a vet I knew very well whose advice I would trust. She told me no I wouldnt be strong enough unless I shook their heads violently which of course I'd never do. I asked because they did go through a teenage phase where they'd go a bit nuts and get too rough with each other although only playing and I'd have to be firm with them. I hated doing it but I have to be top dog with 2 male dogs.

I have also seen how working gundogs can be disciplined. If dogs are ok after that I assure you holding Charlie's collar is nothing.

However I completely understand your concerns and you need to find a way both you and Charlie are happy with.

Have fun :D

Jen

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=2459.msg24574#msg24574 date=1378480782]

I know it's hard to believe but you can't hurt your dog.

I have also seen how working gundogs can be disciplined. If dogs are ok after that I assure you holding Charlie's collar is nothing.

[/quote]

Not everyone would agree though...some people think the soft neck tissue of young dogs is easily damaged, even if the dogs don't show pain or complain.

I AM total wuss but Charlie has only recently been allowed on a normal collar so he can't hurt his neck lunging at other dogs, until this risk reduced, he stayed on a harness. I realise it seems over the top...the trainer also rolled his eyes at Charlie not being allowed to jump out (or even in) to a landrover. My cotton wool wrapped (pet) gundog! ;D ;D ;D