Thoughts on how to get a 6 month old puppy to wee on their own?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Ana K, Aug 15, 2016.

1. camo

camo Registered Users

My boy Bear is 2 weeks short of 6 months old, and has been going to the toilet by himself since probably 3 months (night time and raining was the hardest, as he was a bit apprehensive going out, especially if it was cold). I use the "wee wee's" command, and have done every time he goes (started off as saying it as he went, now if he is wasting time, I can say "go wee wee's and he will get focused again and go".

It does feel a bit silly calling out "go wee wee's", especially sometimes, where a higher pitch works best:), but it sure is nicer standing at the back door making the call, rather than standing out in the cold, especially when it is raining.

To keep him on track at night time, I have a torch, which I spotlight him with, if he is getting distracted, it reminds him that I am waiting, I think (it's not an eye blinding focused beam of cause, just lights his area, and is now probably a visual reminder of what he is out there for). I never food treated for "wee wee's", but did lots of verbal praise, when he went. My previous 2 dogs would also wee on command, so it is trainable.

As far as toilet training for an area goes, I am about 80 percent there (on cold or rainy nights he tends to cheat and go closer to the house), but what works for me, is my dogs were always on a lead when younger, so I chose the area.

I wish we got snow here, I am sure Bear would love the snow. As for your real Bears and skunks, well I am glad we don't have themo_O

Ana K likes this.