Thundershirt, an update

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Moorlands, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Thought you might be interested in our experiences with the thundershirt. My original post is here http://www.thelabradorsite.com/forums/index.php/topic,699.0.html
    Hebe's shirt didn't arrive in time to be conditioned (the dog has to wear the shirt in pleasant places and situations so they get used to it and don't associate it with the phobia)before bonfire night, so we had to rely on her herbs. She does seem a little better but the shirt is amazing! We've had two lots of fireworks out of the blue including tonight - who lets off fireworks at fiveish on Boxing Day? Anyway, she heard the whizz and the crackle and got quite agitated so I put the shirt on her, I could feel how much she was trembling as I tightened the Velcro fastenings. Once dressed she belted out and made two high speed circuits of the yard before she would come back in to sit watching with that 'what on earth' expression on her face but I could see her distress easing as she sat still. Unbelievably within ten minutes of the last crackle and she's playing with Maia. I've tried all sorts with her and the desensitisation CDs have helped but the difference with the shirt is incredible. So five to midnight on the 31st she'll be dressed and ready for whatever explodes!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Thundershirt, an update

That is amazing and brilliant for Hebe to feel safe. We use velcro wraps on some of our Autistic children in our nursery which makes them feel safe, they also like to be wrapped in sheets tightly as they like the pressure against them. No reason why it shouldn't work for dogs also. Fantastic. :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Now that is interesting... Fireworks are unbelievable here at New Year, it's as though the whole world is exploding, and they go off all over the place - in gardens, off balconies, in the street... It' funny because the Germans are normally so law-abiding, but give them an excuse to let off fireworks and they go mad!

I'm hoping my dogs will stay calm - Bones is pretty deaf, and Poppy doesn't seem very bothered by loud noises, but I don't want a fear to develop... Too late for the thunder shirt, but what herbs do you recommend?

4. David

David Registered Users

Good stuff! Fortunately Lady couldn't care less. She has been known to open one eye for a particularly loud one, but that's about it. ;D

5. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Hello David, Hebe is the first one I've had who's upset by fireworks so it's been difficult for both of us, fortunately she's not bothered by gunfire, steam trains, or anything else at all really. Juno would come to firework displays with us, much to the organisers consternation! She would sit and watch each rocket fired into the sky, if she could have "ooh'ed" I'm sure she would have joined us all. With luck the next one will be like Lady - a sound sleeper. :)

Hi Karen, we have a herbalist vet and she prescribes for us. Hebe's script is for equal parts of lavender, valerian, hypericum, passionflower and slightly more winter cherry. She has it for two to three days before the event or a double dose if we don't know in advance. After three days of full dose she's pretty much comatose :eek: until the first squeal... I also have Bach's rescue remedy and use TTouch on her ears when she's bouncing off the walls - fortunately I've not needed that for about 18 months. It's been a learning curve but as she's now five I think we're both getting the hang of her firework phobia. It really is just the screamers and the cracklers, the big bangs don't bother her at all. I think I'd have some rescue remedy in for Pops just in case she gets upset, in the UK you can pick it up in the chemist, I get mine from Boots so I'm sure you should be able to pick some up in Germany. A few crops straight into the mouth. I'll keep my fingers crossed she's a Lady / Juno and not bothered.

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I feel really sorry for the dogs who are afraid , my old Lab Tess was unaffected by other loud noises but fireworks turned her into a quivering wreck , Sam doesnt give a fig, doesnt even open his eyes but then he is so laid back he is practically horizontal :)

7. David

David Registered Users

There is some herbal stuff you can get to calm dogs down with fireworks. I've been trying to remember the name - I saw it advertised the last time I was at the vet's. If you google herbal dog calmer loads of sites come up.

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thanks - I have got hold of some rescue remedy and will let you know how it goes!

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just wanted to report - Poppy was totally chilled about the fireworks, even the ones set off just outside our door didn't phase her. I did give her a few rescue remedy drops as it was all starting off, and kept the tv on quite loudly to drown out the worst of the wizz-bangs, but honestly she was fine. Here's hoping she continues so laid back about loud bangs!

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Good news ! :)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A chilled Poppy that's great Karen. Helen x