Tick inside foot (why is my boy such a boy)

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Carys, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Carys

Carys Registered Users

Evening ! So after the lump drama last weekend (turned out to be the aftermath of an evil sucking tick) Codys foot swelled up last night and was red and weeping with a visible hole.

This is just above his last claw on his bsck foot. No better this morning and assuming it was a grass seed we took him to the vets.

They gave 2 options. Go home with antibiotics and come back if it doesnt get better or put him under and open the lump up.

We chose the latter. Good job we did as when they went looking for the seed they found a tick. It has burrowed in and got under his skin. No evidence of a tick at all from the outside just a lump which appeared between him being dropped back from lunchtime walk & us getting home!

So £285 later we have a proper dopey lab who is struggling to comprehend and a would which has been left open to heal (not too big and not weeping or anything)

On the plus side the vet couldnt have praised him more highly for his behaviour & taking it all in his stride.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I didn't know ticks could behave like a grass seed, what a good job you took him to the vet and what a good boy.

Lin and Carys like this.
  3. Carys

Carys Registered Users

So strange Stacia even the vet looked at it and on intial inspection confirmed he would expect to find either a grass seed fully enclose or that one had been there.

But a full tick:tmi:

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Gosh, how bizarre, I never would have thought that! Do you think it might have gone in because he had to walk on it?

I think you did the right thing -- much better to have had it removed.

Carys likes this.
  5. Carys

Carys Registered Users

Really no idea. Vets didnt really have any suggestion either. Its the top of his footbetween the toes so not even the pad.

He is very dippy at the moment. Sedation still hasnt completely worn off

selina27 likes this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Eww that's horrible. I hope Cody is feeling better soon.

Carys likes this.
  7. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Those little ugly nasty buggers....I hate ticks!

Carys, drjs@5 and selina27 like this.