Tick Removal

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by aslowrie, Apr 28, 2017.

1. aslowrie

aslowrie Registered Users

Hi all, Snuffles has gotten a few ticks lately and I've had a lot of trouble getting them off. She struggles and squirms the whole time and it makes it very difficult to remove the tick with the tick tool we bought (tick twister). In the end we basically do everything we can to hold her down, but it's still very hard and it makes us feel really bad. Do any of you have any advice on tick removal and how to make it easier?

On a side note, she's not on Frontline or a tick color yet, but we plan to start her on what my vet recommends after we talk to him on Monday. I know that will help reduce ticks, but I expect to still have some since there's tons around here.

Thanks

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

You could do try some training around sitting still whilst being touched and examined. To start with one person may need to stream feed treats whilst another person doing the checking/examination. I done this from day 1 with Harley so she now sits/lies nicely when I need to check a scratch/scab/bleeding etc.

charlie, Stacia and MF like this.
  3. MF

MF Registered Users

Get her favourite treat out and she won't even notice the tick removal. I had to squirt ear meds into my boy's ears. He hates it. My husband got out delicious treats, and I was squirting away without even a flinch from Snowie.

4. aslowrie

Thanks, no clue why I didn't think of that. Sounds like a cheese feast for every tick we find!

MF and drjs@5 like this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You could buy a tube of Primula Cheese, works wonders with Charlie for nail clipping, ear cleaning and a spot clean after a good fox poo roll :D x

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Had to remove my first tick of the season, and Luna's first ever earlier. Eugh. Luckily, she just thought se was getting extra special tummy rubs :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yukkk!!! :eek: Haven't seen any YET. The trick of extra tummy rubs is always a good way to feel around and remove the horrible things without any fuss :) x

8. aslowrie

I'll give that one a try too, although she always likes to squirm on tummy rubs so that may be hard. We'll see, I'm hoping she doesn't get too many more.