Tick warning!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by snowbunny, Jun 15, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

19149414_10156321981703146_8733431677489296327_n.jpeg

Although, the dogs are getting to the renewal date for their Advantix, and it becomes less effective towards the end. On Sunday, we had a walk down a dry river bed, which was wonderful and cool. What we hadn't considered was that "lovely and cool" also meant prime tick country!
    I had to remove one that was attached to my leg, and that night I took loads off Shadow. I lost count at 12 of the horrors. Probably 15-18 in total. Ick, ick, ick. Willow had about six on her and Luna, because of her ridiculously thick coat, had none.
    That was a fun couple of hours, hunting them out and squishing them. :puke:

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Eew, ewwwww, aaaargh! Bad enough on the poor dogs, but on your leg? :eek::eek::eek:

3. snowbunny

I know, right?! :puke:

No way I was waiting to get my tick tool out, so I took it off with my fingers. It was still alive, but I was worried that I might have left a bit of it in my leg, so I then dug at the hole with a pin to make sure I got it all! EWWWWWW!!

Bruer, Emily_BabbelHund and edzbird like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I had six of the blighters attach to me last year. Ugh. None this year so far... fingers crossed.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Disgusting little blighters ! Be vigilant when going bare legged as well as being vigilant with the doglets x

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

:tmi: This is my worst nightmare! I hope we never get a tick on Stanley :confused:

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I don't think a tick would attach to me it would not like the taste

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Stanley has never had a tick or you just haven't seen the creepy nasty little blighters Jen :D xx

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I still have completely white legs all year round these days as I wear long trousers all the time to avoid ticks. Hideous things!!!

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I've just walked in my shorts, completely white legs :D but I never ever have had a tick attach itself to me, thankfully! I think I would actually throw up if one did :puke: x

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yuk! I've scraped leeches off my legs before but ticks!!?? No way!!! :eek::eek:

12. snowbunny

Ew, I think I'd be more freaked out by leeches!

Stacia likes this.
  13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Leeches are just slugs that suck your blood. Ticks are horrible creepy crawly things that attack you :eek::eek:

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Leeches I could handle, but not ticks :tmi:

15. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Good heavens...this is all so horrifying!

I was reading on the KC website about ticks and saw this...

1. Don't bring ticks home: take off outer clothes before going indoors. Tests have demonstrated that ticks can survive a full cycle in the washing machine and short periods in a dryer.
    Little demons!

16. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

We can sent ticks to a laboratory to check if it was with borelliosis! When in humans I would certainly try to get hold of information if it contained borelliosis ...I don't know if it is possible with the ticks our dogs are getting!

Last week I removed a tick from an eyelid of Finn. He was very willing to get rid of that thing on his eye!

17. 20180815

20180815 Guest

18. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I recently read to give your dog buttermilk (karnemelk in Dutch)....

19. snowbunny

My lot are treated with Advantix, which is the best repellent I've found. It's due to be reapplied on Saturday, and it does become ls effective towards the end of the period, but it's not too much of a problem for us generally. You can apply it more frequently if needs be, but normally it's not necessary. I wouldn't trust any "natural remedy" with my dogs' health. Laboratory-tested meds all the way, here!

I do use a citronella-based spritz for keeping black flies away from them at peak times of the day certain times of the year. It's advertised as being a tick repellent, too. It works to some extent with the flies, but it doesn't last very long, gets washed off immediately they go in the water and, again, I wouldn't trust it to keep them safe against a potentially serious disease.

To be honest, the main risk of infection comes from either the ticks staying attached for a long period, or from regurgitating, which they can do when stressed. So, using a proper tick-removal tool and checking them every day is by far the best thing to do, and, if you live in an area where ticks are rife, use a laboratory-tested solution.

Remember, "natural" does not mean safe. In fact, it can be quite the opposite. You're potentially exposing your dog to some strong chemicals (yes, "natural" remedies are chemicals, too), which haven't been rigorously tested to find safe dosages, contraindications etc. They are not regulated, and so could contain other things that aren't on the label. Funghi are completely natural, but some of them are terribly toxic, even in small doses.

I think you and I have a different definition of "just" :cwl:

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley had a tick last week right on the top of her head. I had to go to the vet to have them take it out. I've brought a tick tool now, but eurghhhhhh they are horrible blighters