Tick warning!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by snowbunny, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

I can just see it now, everybody stripping down at the front door :wasntme:

kateincornwall likes this.
  2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I feel sorry for Ticks, they can't help being born Ticks!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Great! Instead of squishing them, I'll send mine over to you in little matchboxes. You can be the first tick rescue centre :rofl:

Carys, Kelsey&Axel, Stacia and 3 others like this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

:clap:

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Touch wood - Coco's never had a tick, but after a romp through long grass this morning, losing his ball several times and searching for it, I've just given him a thorough examination - he thought it was great. You're rubbing your hands all over me? I have to lay down for a tummy rub too? This is too much :tail:

Kelsey&Axel and snowbunny like this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ugh, ticks sound horrid. I was pretty sure that we didn't have them here, but google tells me that we do have cattle ticks. Fortunately we're urban and Xena's never even seen a cow. But now I know that if we ever walk through a field that has had cattle in it, that I need to thoroughly check her over. I've spent too many hours combing nits out of my kid's hair - the last thing I want is to pick ticks off the dog!

7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I'm terrified of ticks and the fear mongering around here this year is huge, with the tick population growing, not dying off in the winter and more lyme disease. I've never seen a tick...we are supposed to check dogs daily. Can you see ticks on black dogs? I check her ears, between her toes and belly but I don't really know what I'm looking for!

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Suppose it depends who you've invited in......... ;)

Sven and kateincornwall like this.
  9. snowbunny

I find it easiest with Willow to check her in the dark. I shine a torch over her, and that shows them up, because they are browny-red against her black. Because I tend to be pretty fastidious about checking, I only get small ones that haven't had a chance to become engorged. When engorged, they're the size of a pea, apparently (never seen one like that) and probably quite hard to miss. The ones I take off are generally about 1.5 - 2mm across and quite flat. There's not really any mistaking them. Their legs are really wriggly and just ick.
    Favourite places for them is between the toes, on elbows, the lower part of the leg and ear flaps, although they can appear pretty much anywhere. I had to take one off Shadow's bumhole once :eek:

10. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

:puke:

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I find it really hard to find ticks on my black dog until they're big enough to stop the hair lying flat. I'm pretty fastidious about tick treatment as a result. I have got pretty adept with the old tick tool now though.
    Much easier to find them crawling through Obi's white fur even though it's so much longer and thicker (he's seriously hairy!)

12. snowbunny

I struggle checking Luna because her coat is so bloomin' dense! But, it also seems that, because it's so dense, the ticks can't get in, either. So far.

13. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I found a tick on Plum today. I was stroking her and found a little 'bobble,' looked like a wart, on her back lower leg. It took a while to dawn on me it was a tick.
    Am I gross because I took great pleasure in using my tick tool (which worked beautifully)and I was fascinated by the little blighter? Kept it in a glass till my son came back from school to take a look. Then flushed it down the loo.

Carys, Kelsey&Axel, snowbunny and 3 others like this.
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

No I would have done the same:)

15. snowbunny

Up until this point, I thought we might have a second volunteer for the tick rescue centre :)

Carys, Kelsey&Axel, Jes72 and 2 others like this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Used to despise those days. I once picked at least 12 mummy nits out of my sons hair after he returned from a school residential trip. We placed them on the side of the bath and watched how long they would live, it was hours and hours when apparently they don't survive once removed from the hair - nope!

selina27 and Plum's mum like this.
  17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would take special care of them :)

Carys, Jes72 and snowbunny like this.
  18. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I remember taking my son to get his hair cut after a bout of nits. Was mortified to find he was still crawling with them :confused:. I was clearly a bit hopeless on the nit front!

charlie and selina27 like this.
  19. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Yes, you're gross ;)

Plum's mum likes this.
  20. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Thanks for the reminder. Off to get our Advantix this morning ready for our summer Holiday.