Tick warning!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by snowbunny, Jun 15, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

This is probably a question for the vet but can you use both Advocate and Advantix? Our dogs are currently on Advocate, mainly for worm protection, but it doesn't cover ticks.

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

You'd have to check with your vet. However, Ella has been on two different wormers at once before (Revolution plus Canex) as they covered different things so it might be possible.

20180815 likes this.
  3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Check with your vet. I think it's reasonably common to have some things overlapping and dealt with twice but your vet will know what's safe to double up on.

I use Advantix for fleas, ticks etc and Milbemax(sp?) for worms.

20180815 likes this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

When we first got Advantix, in a panic while on holiday in France when H became covered in ticks, we were advised to stagger the Advantix and Advocate (end of month Advocate, mid month Advantix) He also has Dontrol for worms every 3/4 months.
    Now I treat him with Advantix in the Summer months and go back to Advocate for the rest of the year.

20180815 likes this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yep, I use Advocate and Advantix, staggered by two weeks, and Drontal for tapeworm.

20180815 likes this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thank you for reminding me, all Mollie's flea and worm treatment arrived with her - but it's my job to remember to give it to her! She's due her next Nexgard on the 22nd, I have now put it in my diary.

My Cavaliers were always getting ticks - and they are hard to find in long fur! Cavaliers adore rotting around in long grass - I'm sure that was the problem. Touch wood, none of our Labs or pups have ever had one.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I had to take a tick off of Lucan last week, it was right in the corner of his mouth and quite engorged! It took several attempts as he kept moving everytime I caught hold his lip, and being in a slippery, slobbery area didn't help either. Still we got there eventually. His was flushed down the drain with boiling water!:D
    So far, touch wood, I haven't had one attached to me.

9. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Thanks all, looks like I'll be having a chat with the vet about this.

Ergh @mandyb inside his mouth :eek:

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@SilverFalcon you'd be surprised where they attach themselves. Hattie has had them on her eyelids :eek:

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Does anyone else think the tick population is higher this year? I removed two newly attached ones from Hattie's eyelids, and 5 crawling on Charlie this morning after his walk and they are upto date with tick/flea treatment. David also removed one from his chest that had crawled under his T Shirt. :puke: x

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I am hearing about lots of ticks, but I haven't seen any - touch wood! We went for a walk along the coast the other day, fields full of sheep (Coco stayed at home). I was wearing shorts & vest & I was petrified of picking up a tick, brushing through the grass. We stopped to watch for puffins but I couldn't sit down & relax. Hate the blighters.

13. snowbunny

Famous last words. Luna had an engorged one on her front leg. Ick. I made J squish it for me.

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I hope you removed the head?! It is best not to squish them while on the dog, but to get a tick remover to remove them with. Hope I am not teaching my Granny how to suck eggs :oops:

15. snowbunny

No fear, I removed it first with my tool, then J squished it! :)

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Oh good.

17. Dogs rule

Dogs rule Registered Users

My poor boy, the dog that is, had a tick stuck close to his midget gem, shows you have to look everywhere!

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've got a tick tool which is key shaped and fits on my house key ring. I have to have one with me as I really hated ticks