Time to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by paulv66, Feb 17, 2017.

1. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

Thanks Jenny.

Molly is very set in her ways and won't sleep anywhere else. We've tried putting cushions on the floor and putting her rug over it, but she just looks bewildered and tries to get back up on her couch.

Unfortunately, we got rid of all the carpets and rugs in the house apart from the staircase. So part of the problem she's had over the last few days when her legs were particularly bad is that she would slide all over the place when trying to get up.

Anyway, at the moment her legs seem to be a lot better and she is able to jump up on the couch, although she has to psyche herself up for a couple of minutes before doing so.

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Could you get some cheap rugs to cover the floor, just to give her a bit of grip?

Jenny B likes this.
  3. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Yes agree - we have runners and carpet tiles that we would place around so she would have something to walk on (and some fake grass too). When we went to the vet for a while I'd put the dog shoes on her and they helped her grip the floors there. I also rad about something you could put on their claws that helped them grip but never followed that up.

Hmm as for the couch she sounds pretty determined would there be a way of making some kind of step/steps she might use? And putting something soft alongside in case she does fall off again

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I used to have to lift my old boy onto the sofa at the end of his life. He was so polite he'd come and look at me and then position himself so I could get him on him. Such a sweet dog

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So glad your girl is back home again, and I am sure you will treasure your time with her even more!

With my very old boy (16) we put extra carpet down on the wooden floor, so he could easily get from the couch to the front door without slipping. To the end, I would lift him on and off the couch, as he wouldn't sleep anywhere else. Stubborn to the end, bless him!

kateincornwall likes this.
  6. JonBoz

JonBoz Registered Users

My yellow gal, CiCi, is going to be 12 in a couple months. She's fighting hip dysplasia, so I've been lifting her in and out of the car using a floatation vest with handles. Works like a charm and gives me some exercise (she's 90 lbs). She's also a very polite dog (besides being so gentle and beautiful) and waits at the hatch (or bottom of the stairs) for the vest. I've had 2 other labs (black, choc) and I still cry for them, many years later. I have their ashes and they will be mixed with mine one day. These dogs will always be my bff.

When I read the stories of other lab guardians, it's good to know that I'm not so silly in loving my heart out for these sweethearts.

MF, Karen, edzbird and 5 others like this.
  7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Absolutely you are NOT silly xxx

And your flotation vest innovation is a great idea.Welcome to the Forum x

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It's not silly at all it nice to meet/talk to people who care:) we all get it.

9. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

Just thought I'd provide a quick update on our lovely Molly.

It's almost four months since we thought we were about to say goodbye to her and she's still with us! She's got a little bit slower and her back legs tend to give out under her from time to time, but overall she's in good spirits.

Most of the time when we are walking her, we don't venture more than a few hundred yards from home as she gets tired and will lie down until coaxed back to her feet with a treat. I guess she's figured out it's a way of getting extra treats, but I wouldn't begrudge her at this stage in her life!

We have a mat down beside her bed and she is able to get up and down, although sometimes she needs to psyche herself up for a while before finally clambering onto her couch.

We're so glad to have had this extra time with her and hope she'll be with us for another while yet. As one of our neighbours said, she doesn't look like she's in any hurry to go anywhere.

Anne123, Cath, Granca and 15 others like this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This was lovely to read. I was worried opening the thread, but good news she's sticking it out. Well done, lovely Molly. You keep working those humans for treats :)

paulv66 likes this.
  11. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

What a lovely update!:)

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

A lovely post to read , bless Molly x

13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

A wonderful post x

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ah, that's good to read, thank you for the update!!! Hope Molly is with you for many more months to come.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How lovely to read your update. Good girl Molly xx

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Thank you so much for popping by with Molly. It is lovely that the grand old lady is doing well :) I must admit, my heart did a lurch....then a skip once I read your update.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good for you for taking such good care of Molly x

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great news :heart:

19. MF

MF Registered Users

Lovely update!

20. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

She sounds so precious! I am glad for you! :heart: