Tintagel and surrounding North Cornwall coast - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Dog Friendly Places & Recommendations' started by leejane, Mar 23, 2015.

1. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

We've just booked our first proper dog-holiday on 18th April for a whole week :D ;D, I've heard this bit of Cornwall is very dog friendly, but any particular recommendations for places we can take him? He can't walk for miles but spots that we can mooch around at a gently pace would be great.

Thanks in anticipation !

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Tintagel and surrounding North Cornwall coast - any recommendations?

Watergate bay - dog friendly beach, dog friendly cafe, dog friendly hotel. Can't beat it....

Oh, unless your dog chases kite surfers and jumps on their boards....they don't like that very much - I'm not sure why. Or footballs. Or cricket balls....actually, it's a great beach to train your stop whistle! ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]

3. leejane

Looks fab - the plan is to get him to the water asap to do some swimming retrieves, hopefully his will be exciting enough to overcome the urge to chase foobtballs - and everything else beach related will be new to him so no doubt he'll want to chase them too!

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Has he been swimming a lot before?

5. leejane

He swam twice last October in the Isle of Wight, not a proper beach but loved it - took to it like - well a Labrador to water! He knew exactly how to swim, like he suddenly realised what he was made to do...
    He very occasionally swims in a smelly pond when the angry swans aren't around, and paddles knee deep in streams. And at hydro each week he can't wait to duck his head under and pounce on the bubbles.

I even booked the cottage around being walking distance to a dog friendly beach - Bossiney Cove - but later realised there are 100 steps down to the sand! Not great for a dog on restricted exercise, duh..

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The North coast is quite a rough sea - big, atlantic rollers coming in (that's why it's good for surfing). It's not the best place for water retrieves. There are loads of rivers in Cornwall, they tend to be much better places for a young dog and water retrieves. Even my Charlie, who is quite nuts about retrieving and water (seriously, not just normal Lab stuff), got put off fetching his ball in a very rough sea. I learned my lesson, there.

7. leejane

Thanks Julie, we'll be careful. Maybe we'll limit it to just a paddle which I'm sure he'll still love.

8. sussex

sussex Registered Users

if you do go to the other coast i know looe is very dog friendly dogs are welcomed in lots of shops can not remember when they are allowed on the beach

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Looe beach has a dog ban all year round ( its near to where I live ) but Seaton beach, near Looe is dog friendly all year, fab café too . Look up Daymer Bay, its across the estuary from Padstow , absolutely vast beach, dogs allowed all year, car park almost on the beach and a café too, we go there often . Also, look up the Camel Trail , a wonderful walk , safe for dogs, part of it runs alongside rivers , well worth a visit , it cuts across Cornwall from the North to Bodmin, bliss :)

10. leejane

Thanks Kate, I've just found Daymar beach on google earth, I appreciate you pointing it out as I probably wouldn't have considered the estuary before - it does look huge - which means hopefully a quiet spot for us, for a few retrieves and maybe being an estuary some calmer waters? (not that I know anything about waves or tides living in the centre of the country)