Tips for fetch

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Veerraj, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Veerraj

Veerraj Registered Users

My 7 month old lab refuses to fetch. My puppy really isn't into balls or most toys even if i try to make it interesting and act like an idiot. He also gets bored of toys really quick. I have tried teaching fetch but he will fetch once or twice then it's over. I tried using treats but if he smells or gets the treat once he won't move till he gets the treat. The one thing he plays with is a blanket. Basically playing chase with a blanket. There was this one ball that my pup loved at a local park and i purposely kept the ball at the park so he would not get bored of it and he did not. Eventually someone took the ball and i have bought many balls, squeaky, glowing u name it but refuses to play fetch and tips would really help

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Veerraj, Lilly is the same, a very unenthusiastic "fetcher".
    Lilly is very definitely a chaser more than a retriever, she is 7 now, and you can get a couple of retrieves in the garden, but that's it, loses interest.
    She will however retrieve at the beach, and is eager to do so, and I think developed as a result of having another dog, a ball-mad retrieving dynamo, that she chased at the beach, which then seemed to develop into a desire to retrieve at the beach, It's a struggle elsewhere though.

Are you interested in teaching a retrieve for gundog work/training, if so, there is advice on the main site and elsewhere on the forum. If it is just to encourage "engagement" then maybe you need to find what "floats his boat" - possibly playing tug, for instance. Having a ball-mad-retrieving addict is NOT necessarily a good thing