Tips for post-neutering

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Aimee Lawrence, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Aimee Lawrence

Aimee Lawrence Registered Users

Hi all,

I havent been on here for a while so have a bit of catching up to do. Thor will be neutered on Monday next week and i was hoping for some advice about how best to get him to cope in the recovery stage. I have the week off with him so can keep a close eye on how he is. The op itself could be more complicated because only one of his testicles has dropped so they will need to locate the other to remove both.

How often will he be able to/want to walk post-op? Will he be back to normal in that first week or will it take a while longer? Will the normal cone of shame be ok or am i best getting one of the doughnut ones ive seen online? And is there any other general advice that might help?

And a quick photo, just because... ;)

[​IMG]

Lozzz31 and Samantha Jones like this.
  2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley got neutered back in March. I was told he would be groggy and sleepy - tigger came out and he was instantly fine. Charging round, banging into everything with his cone.

He figured how to get his cone off, popped his doughnut and hated the boxers we put on him. We just gave up in the end because he wasn't bothering his stitches and they were internal anyway.

He went for walks the day after the came home but just lead ones and it all went completely fine, after 2 weeks he was good as new :)

Good luck! Thor is gorgeous!!

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Just - good luck handsome Thor. (Coco was neutered before we got him - but the kennel report stated that he'd tried to pull his stitches out before he got a cone :rolleyes:)

4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

No advice just what a beauty Thor is - he looks just like my Bailey. Good luck on Monday x

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine were pretty groggy the evening of the castration, but next day were back to normal. I never put a cone on, the stitches were internal. I can't remember now, but I think it is lead walking for about a week. As your dog is going to have a more than a simple castration he may have to stay on the lead for ten days. However, I think you will find that the day after the op, your dog will be full of vim and vigour:)

6. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Yes, very much so!
    I wouldn't even have know that Monty had been under a general anaesthetic. We only used a cone for 3-4 days when we weren't watching him. I think we did lead walking for just under a week - op on the Monday, was off lead by the Saturday afternoon, I think, but nothing that exerted a lot of energy.

7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Thor is a very handsome dog, beautiful. Hope the op goes ok, I expect they'll give you advice regarding recovery when you collect him.