Today's the day! Pics added!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Aburns, May 9, 2014.

1. Ems76

Ems76 Registered Users

Re: Today's the day! Pics added!

Oh She's lovely! Glad she's settling in well :) We've had our Ruby for almost 2 weeks now, and we have 2 young children too - who adore her! :) Happy days x

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=5844.msg75951#msg75951 date=1399800048]
    Lauren Do you completely cover the cage so there's no way of seeing out or do you leave a side uncovered?
    [/quote]

At first I used a sheet to just cover the front, but then Penny found the fantastic game of pulling it through the bars and shredding it! :eek:

So then I bought this: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=618&pg_id=2032
    It is fab!! The sizes aren't exact and it's a bit big for my crate but I couldn't be without it! All four sides can be rolled up individually so you can open any side and it attaches to the crate at each corner to keep it secure. And for that price, it's worth every penny!

3. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

Phew! Thanks for reassuring me. You all are a godsend! Today has been better, I've been dropping treats in the crate when she goes in like Pippas article recommends. Been doing a lot of reading, and then more reading.

Have a great day :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's great that you've been making progress :)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=5844.msg75957#msg75957 date=1399800761]
    [quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=5844.msg75934#msg75934 date=1399798644]
    I've always covered the crate with Penny, it was the only way she would settle. I still do it now and probably will do as long as she continues to use the crate - now she knows that when the cover is down she has to settle and it's quiet time.
    [/quote]

Yes - same here! I completely cover the crate with an old duvet at night, but during the day it's not covered. But if the pup settles better, covered is the way to go anyway - day or night imo :)

My brother says I think she's a parrot! ::)
    [/quote]

Ooooops - I just re-read this - not an old duvet, an old duvet COVER!

I only cover it at night to let her know it's bed time and keep the morning light out. But if I had kids and distractions I'd cover in the day to signal 'settle down' time. They soon learn :)

:)

6. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=5844.msg76342#msg76342 date=1399879041]
    [quote author=Boogie link=topic=5844.msg75957#msg75957 date=1399800761]
    [quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=5844.msg75934#msg75934 date=1399798644]
    I've always covered the crate with Penny, it was the only way she would settle. I still do it now and probably will do as long as she continues to use the crate - now she knows that when the cover is down she has to settle and it's quiet time.
    [/quote]

Yes - same here! I completely cover the crate with an old duvet at night, but during the day it's not covered. But if the pup settles better, covered is the way to go anyway - day or night imo :)

My brother says I think she's a parrot! ::)
    [/quote]

Ooooops - I just re-read this - not an old duvet, an old duvet COVER!

I only cover it at night to let her know it's bed time and keep the morning light out. But if I had kids and distractions I'd cover in the day to signal 'settle down' time. They soon learn :)

:)
    [/quote]

LoL thank you :) I am definitely only covering when needed, usually it's when she's wants to be out with the kids and I and I have to shower or get the kids to sleep. Hoping she gets over that, but I understand she just wants to be with us. I try and give her time to settle on her own first. Thankfully I haven't had to cover it a lot.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thought I would just add that I had my crate covered permanently. It was against the edge of our units and was covered all sides apart from the front door side.
    Lilly used it regularly until we deprived her of it just before she was 3 years old.
    It was her cave :D

8. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=5844.msg76524#msg76524 date=1399918056]
    Thought I would just add that I had my crate covered permanently. It was against the edge of our units and was covered all sides apart from the front door side.
    Lilly used it regularly until we deprived her of it just before she was 3 years old.
    It was her cave :D
    [/quote]

Jacqui do you mean only 3 sides were covered? I have both crates covered except for the front to make it den like, but when she won't settle I've draped a blanket over the front.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I had top and 3 sides covered, just the front remaining to see in/out. I used the door in the "end" i.e. the smaller side, which was left uncovered. Does that make sense?

10. gad

gad Guest

We do the same, three sides and top covered, with an old bedspread. Makes a lovely feature in our kitchen ;)

Works a treat and definitely makes them feel safe. In the evening, our sitting room has a fireplace, exactly the same size as the crate, Murphy sleeps in there on the same vetbed as in his crate. He likes to be able to see us I guess. The fireplace serves the same purpose as the crate, three sides makes it feel like a den. No problem in having two places to sleep either. He just goes to the one in the room we're in.

Add - we don't use the fireplace for it's intended purpose!

11. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=5844.msg76603#msg76603 date=1399925461]
    I had top and 3 sides covered, just the front remaining to see in/out. I used the door in the "end" i.e. the smaller side, which was left uncovered. Does that make sense?
    [/quote]

Makes total sense. I cover the sides, and back leaving the front open. But when she won't settle I cover the front :)