Today's the day!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Rolokris, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Re: Today's the day!

It went really. Me and hubby feel much better about everything. She came in and Rolo went crazy (we don't get many visitors) I tried to gain control and it just wasn't happening. She suggested I put his lead on and get a settle (never done this before) he wouldn't settle at all. Hubby stepped in and got a settle almost instantly. Typical!

So she sat talking to us asked us about what's been happening we told her about the food guarding well everything guarding and she told us to stop worrying about it. She can see quite clearly Rolo doesn't respect us and she feels without realising it we are giving off the wrong body language or tone of voice and that's fueling his behaviour. (Since her visit I have taken great notice how my tone is so middle of the road doesn't change for good behaviour or bad). She feels we need to communicate more with Rolo through training and not just me but all of us. We don't follow through either. If I ask for a sit and I don't get it I just give up. So now will follow through.

It all sounds very basic and I thought how is this going to help us but even 24 hours on I have seen an improvement. Our confidence has grown. She told us if he does start a growl snarl snap just ignore him move away but keep our body language relaxed.

A much more relaxed and happy owner.

Kris

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh Kris, I'm so pleased that you got a positive and helpful answer! Good luck with it, and keep us up to date. We're all rooting for you.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great.

Personally I don't think respect is relevant in our relationship with dogs (or any animal). But what is really important is clarity, consistency and definitely ensuring that the dog understands what you mean. That's good training and good training means good behaviour. It sounds like the behaviourist was talking about good training. I'm sure that Rolo will start to feel a lot less confused too - dogs love it when we are clear and predictable :) And don't forget the rewards for good behaviour! :)

Really glad you are feeling a lot better.

4. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Oh Kris! So pleased to hear this....

Dogs are so easily confounded by us mere humans, and when we fail to give good signals, they fail to comprehend. Dogs like rules and clear expectations....and we like well behaved dogs...it's a work in progress obviously. ;)

I look forward to hearing about your progress with Rolo! :*

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm really glad the meeting went well :D
    You are obviously more relaxed now an expert has explained that he needs consistent training and isn't aggressive :D
    Good luck and let us know how you get on x

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Great!

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm realy glad everything went well with the behaviourist and your feeling happier with it all. Did the behaviourist suggest how the children and visitors should interact with Rolo ?

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That is good news. You sound so much more positive!

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yey! Good news!

I'm not a fan of that word "respect", either, but I think as long as you don't confuse it with "dominance" and look at it more as "trust", it makes sense. If your dog can trust that you make good decisions and that following your direction leads to good things for him, then that could be interpreted as a form of respect, I think?

Anyway, that's just semantics.

I'm so happy that you're more relaxed and confident already. Hopefully you'll be able to keep moving forwards and end up with a stronger, healthier relationship with your little man.

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Good news and so good to see you feeling more positive. I'm sure that behaviour will continue to improve with clear signals from you and the family

11. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Sounds like a big step forward, and if you are relaxed it will help enormously. Self awareness of how you communicate verbally and through body language will help you to be more consistent in interacting with Rolo. Glad you are seeing improvement already :)

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kris, this is lovely to read, did you get all your questions and queries answered, will there be a follow up from the Behaviourist to see how you all progress with Rolo? Glad you feel so positive. xx :)

13. Rolokris

The behaviourist is now mine and Rolo's trainer so we will see her every week so as things crop up I can ask her and she will be monitoring Rolo closely. Since she has been we have had no snarling whatsoever. MIL is due to return middle of April so I need to use this time to gain respect (trust if you prefer) from Rolo and when she comes get her to do the same.

I have been more vigilant of toys strewn across the floor also as Rolo guards these, he will be sleeping you will walk past and he guards the most ridiculous of toys so I'm regularly collecting his toys and putting them back in there place. Also meal time is now twice a day. Dry kibble and it's now a non event. All in one bowl not split between bowl kong and buster cube. Gives him less to be anxious about.

I am very pleased so far with the little mans progress and me being more disciplined is really helping our relationship. I just hope it continues. One place he does like to guard is his crate, when he is in it, so we have been umming and arghing about getting rid altogether. He needs a bigger one anyway or do I just take it away and put a bed in it's place. I do like the security it gives us, we know he is safe and the kitchen is safe also! Not sure what to do. The behaviourist has said not to get worked up about him guarding the crate he feels it his territory to protect and with time will feel safer and not need to protect it.

Kris

14. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

I would probably not worry about him guarding things in the crate. When he isn't in it I would take anything that is in there out so you have less to cause the problem. Just make sure everyone in house knows not to try to take anything from him in the crate.

If guarding toys is an issue would making a game with them help? For example hide and find, so he learns that if he gives something up he gets to have some fun with it! I have always played games with mine, got them to hold, then give to me and then I give back. They soon learn that you don't want to take things away from them.

Chloe

15. Rolokris

We play lots of games with him and his toys. One I'm really proud of his go find Hog. He knows exactly which one is Hog! He only guards the crate when the door is shut and he is inside.

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

What fantastic progress in such a short period of time. I wouldn't worry too much of his guarding his crate if it's only when he's in it - one step at a time and I'm sure he'll slowly reduce the guarding as life settles down with the new routines etc.

17. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

With Molly and the change from crate to bed, I bought a squashy donut bed and put it in her crate. After about a week I started moving it to other points around the house.

We have always used the term "go to bed" for her crate and she will happily go and sit on her bed if we point and give her the "go to bed" command. The transition from crate to bed has gone very smoothly.

She has always been happy in her crate and we are just ,at 17 months, starting to decrate her. I am lucky, there are just the two of us in a fairly large house so parking a largish crate in my study has not been too much of a problem, but I will be glad when it goes.

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have a smile on my face reading about your progress with Rolo, Kris. Good job!

19. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

I was going to suggest making a game of him tidying his toys into a box at the end of a play session maybe? It's a fun game and also means there is less around for him to guard.

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I am so happy for you that things are getting better :D